Default Pollinating Hive size

I'm looking for some insight into building up for a 300-400 hive pollinating operation.

First, is there a required box size in order to participate in almond pollination in CA?

I have found med. 8 frame boxes work well in my bee yard, and was wondering if these are acceptable for doing the above?

Any other helpfull tips or insight is welcome and needed.

Thank you,

Default Re: Pollinating Hive size

Cool, lots of great input...

I`m not a pollenator but havent seen anyone using mediums for it as they seem to be too small. I assume the growers want large numbers of bees to work their crops. Although three medims are roughly equal the double deeps.Seems that I have read that they are looking for the equivelent of 8 frames of bees per deep. This time of the year the large guys are harvestig honey and may be very busy so I hope to see more discussion regarding this thread. Perhaps if the growers (California) are not expanding due to almond prices then there may be fewer contracts available next year. Then of course the guys who depend on pollenation dont want more competition. My thoughts plus 1.49 will get ya a cup of coffee....Rick
    Turn stumbling blocks into stepping stones

Contact an almond grower or a reputable broker and see what they are willing to pay for.

Have you figured out how to ship bees from Georgia to Cali and back using non-standard sized hives? Just because you like 8 frame mediums, can you find a broker willing to mess with them? (or do you intend to go to Cali with the hives, and stay there and care for them while they are there?)

Beesweet,

If you don't want to lose all your bees your best bet is to get with a commercial beek in your area and fill in a portion of his contract. This will get you some experience in this part of the business by someone already in it. If you step out in it alone you not only could lose all your bees but can run up some pretty high expenses that come with pollination.

I have seen 8 frame meds but they are stacked three high. The almond guys and brokers are going to grade your bees and pay in in "frames of bees" Most like them in deeps because in mediums they have to adjust how they grade.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

Thanks everyone, all this information gives some ideas as which direction to start. Alpha6, great idea about hitching with a pollinating beekeeper already and learn that way. I'm a firefighter and we can aquire a good bit of time off here and there...lol. So, I would actually love to be able to go to CA and stay there with the bees through the 2-3 wk season also.

Thanks again

If you work it right you may be able to trade transportation costs for labor if you go out to Calf. for the beek you are tagging with. They need people to put on patties, help grade, move hives around, pull dead outs, etc. If they have someone willing to help out and don't have to pay out of pocket...it is something that works for everyone.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

Cool, great idea. I will look into that for sure.

Thanks