Default Expanding and looking for a honey packer in southwest

I am planning to keep expanding every year by 50 to 100 hives till i reach 500 hives. Now i know i can sell alot of my honey locally but would like to sell my excess to bulk buyer/packer. Does any one out there know of a packer within about 400 miles of Las vegas Nv?

Default Re: Expanding and looking for a honey packer in southwest

Miller honey, Colton CA. Other than expanding, you had better learn about packers. Lots of luck.

Ashurts honey company in El Centro California. That's about 5-6 hours from Las Vegas.

Quote Originally Posted by jjgbee View Post
    Other than expanding, you had better learn about packers. Lots of luck.
    Can you fill us in on the packers.? They are a football team and not very good this year. Just kidding about the football.

But, seriously what should we be worrying about.? Any pointers on how to deal with them what to expect. Now this is what a friend told you about it wink wink. (so no one is mad at you)

I also would like to expand at a rate close to MWTIMM's plan and wondering what to do with all the honey if I actually get a good amount.

Any pointers would be helpfull.

First thing, buy a good honey grader and a refractometer. They will always grade your color one grade below actual. They will promise payment, then drag them out. Payment is usually 90 days after sale. If they call you looking for honey, the market is going up. They will agree to buy then tell you to hold delivery just a week or two when the market is falling. West coast packers will tell you the don't need US honey. Your price has to compete with world imports. One packer even told me that my honey was too low in moisture and hard to handle. They will want 45 lb tare weight on barrels that average 41 lb. They just beat you out of 4 lb per barrel. Get a scale and build it into your dock. Weigh your own tare and gross. Ther were some good packers in the old days. Golden Heritage is one of those good packers. They pay more for quality honey even with shipping than west coast packers. They paid us a bonus one time because we under rated our product and they determined it was worth more. Like beekeeping, it takes about 15 years of experience to learn befor jumping in with both feet. You can start big with less experience but the mistakes are more expensive.