Hybrid View

Default Anyone using Warre hives?

I am reading a few websites that are promoting Warre style hives which appears to be a combination of top bar/foundation-less with a vertical/Langstroth style.

Is anyone using this hive and if so, what are your thoughts on it? Pros, Cons?

From the plans and photos I have seen, it looks terribly susceptible to rodents, etc...

Big Bear

Default Re: Anyone using Warre hives?

Try a search, I think there was a resent thread about them.
    Dan

So far, the results I have found from said searching is mostly people who intend to try it out. I am hoping to find out some outcome and results.

Big Bear

My warres are going into their first winter. Thus far, they have been more vigorous than my Langs and were able to put up some stores where my Langs were not. Not that it mattered any, they consumed all of it when a sudden and lasting rainy period hit just before the end of the nectar flow. Currently am feeding all hives, warres too, heavily and hoping they'll put enough away (only two more weeks of weather warm enough for liquid feed remaining) for winter.
    The World Beehive Project - I build one of every popular beehive in the world!

Check out the forums at the Natural Beekeeping Network. They have a very extensive forum on Warré hives. See:

http://www.biobees.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=12

I presently have 9 Warre hives and they are doing quite well.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by bigbearomaha View Post
    Is anyone using this hive and if so, what are your thoughts on it? Pros, Cons?
    From the plans and photos I have seen, it looks terribly susceptible to rodents, etc...
    Big Bear
    I have 12 Warrés and no rodent problems, but I use mouse guards from October to March as do many UK beeks.

I've summarised some pros and cons at http://www.mygarden.me.uk/ModifiedAbbeWarreHive.htm

David,

How did you do the 'exploded view' photo of that hive?

It's great, by the way

Adam