Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Flatbed or Stepdeck

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Nick Noyes 
#1 ·
Wich do you prefer and why?

#2 ·
Probably a step deck even though flatbeds are a little lighter. Step decks allow you to haul a bit more bulk and keep the weight a bit lower but it does take a little more figuring to get an even load. It isn't a huge issue for us, if I forget to ask we may not even know what we are getting until the truck arrives.

#3 ·
The other night I loaded a Flatbed then a Stepdeck . I loaded both in the same night they drove the same way home ,and there were more dead bees on the stepdeck. The bees also seemed angrier . So Im wondering if the stepdeck gets the bees hotter or if the suspension was messed up and it beat them more.

#4 ·
I always thought that with a lower center of gravity the steps were easier on the bees. With a smooth loading zone I can lift 4 pallets at once ( deep & shallow) on to a step while the straight trailers I would do 2 & 2. You can put more weight on a straight trailer. It's a longer fall from the top of a straight than from a step. I prefer step decks as they are easier to load.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.