Hybrid View

Default Pierco vs competitor frames

I have heard for going commercial plastic frames are the way to go, is that right? Also does anyone know if there is a differance in the plastic used to make Pierco frames and the competitor frames that Dadant and Brushy Mountain sell? I am looking to get about 1000 frames and I noticed that the off brand frames are much cheaper. I don't want to get the cheaper ones if alot of chemicals leak out of the cheaper ones.

Default Re: Pierco vs competitor frames

I inhearited some of them and am trashing them as I go:

may just be me though.

JB:}
    "Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point."

If I had to do over again I wouldnt go plastic. From what I see of other keepers frames it seemed mine were slow to build comb. I sprayed them with syrup and it didnt seem to help. I wont be using plastic on my next two hives next year. Im new though so take it for what its worth.....

We have some plastic midrib frames from the previous operators. They all say "P-" and then the year i.e. "P-95" . My son claims the bees can read, because they seem more prone to fill them with pollen .... they think "P" is for pollen. My guess is that they are colder, and therefore the bees think it is the edge of the brood chamber, where pollen should be stored.

Roland

Thumbs Up Re: Pierco vs competitor frames

I run 95% Pierco and am very happy. I have 5% wood and you couldn't get me to buy them. Can't wait untill all the wood is gone.
    Jack

I went with all foundationless this year, a mistake I will not make twice. I did not have a second deep available when my swarm hive needed it so I added a medium. After three weeks they had not touched a single frame. I swapped out to a deep with all plastic checked them after three weeks and have 5 frames filled out with capped brood, bees having a hard time keeping up with the queen. Here is a picture I took, the wax is bright yellow.

I'm a huge fan of plastic frames, but the assumption I went on is that you can take them right out of the box and install them in any hive.

My lessons are they all need extra, melted bees wax rolled on (ABJ has had a couple of articles on this about a year ago). Extra wax equalizes the different brands.

It also helps to have a good nectar flow going (feeding syrup during a nectar dearth doesn't always work, it's like the bees know you're trying to fool them).

It also helps to have a good, strong, healthy colony. Additionally sliding new plastic frames between two existing frames of brood really does a great job, though it's a little labor intensive. There are also big differences between hives and the respective race of bees. Italians, generally, seem to draw mine out faster.

I tried the spraying syrup, but it would never stick. It just beaded up and rolled off the existing wax.

As for brands, I've tried them all. My favorite is Permadent, followed by Mann Lake's product. Dadant and Pierco, less so. I think the cell imprint is deeper on the first two and the bees seem to jump on them faster.

I also note each supplier carries a premium grade and an "economy" grade. If you want success getting them drawn out, buy the premium grade. Been there, tried to save some money on the cheaper grade and it just isn't worth it.

Lastly, in terms of a strong colony, I've had difficulty getting a new swarm or a nuc to draw out plastic foundation. So I give them a good start on wired wax foundation, then start inserting the plastic foundation.

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725