Default New beekeeper in eastern kansas

This is the coolest hobby I have done,started out by buying some used bee hives they needed to be cleaned and I just kept putting off doing it,well spring came and I noticed a lot of activity in what I thought was empty hives.To my amazement I had a hive ! I sit up the boxes not knowing what I was doing and so far I have gotten about 60-70 pounds of very sweet honey.I have been studying this all summer and working with the bee`s and found out something......I love it,these ladies are so amazing and beautiful to watch,I am still a newbie to the hobby and hope ya all do not tire of what may be a stupid question. I look forward to posting pics and stories and meeting some folks who love the bee`s.
    Last edited by DIXIEROADIE; 09-06-2009 at 01:16 PM. Reason: eastern typo

Default Re: New beekeeper in eatern kansas

Awesome way to get started! Great story.

Default Re: New beekeeper in eastern kansas

Just hope they make it through the winter.When is the best time to get them ready to winter?I have two small boxes that are ten frames that are capped honey and one deep box same amount of frames same way with being capped,and then I have one deep box with no frames on the bottom board.Should I add one of the small boxes to the bottom or just add frames?