Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fall starts in north Texas

A quick walk around today and I saw snow on the prairie, short golden rod, fall aster, Joe Pye, and sweet autumn clematis. I have a small white blooming vine around the pond as well as the purple pickerel weed still blooming. There is something tall, 3-5 feet, blooming small white flowers that the bees are working in the pasture . I'll have to look it up. Iron weed is about done. I think this could be a really good fall.

Default Re: Fall starts in north Texas

We've got the snow on the prairie but not much else blooming. Bees aren't working it, I guess, because it's so dry. We got 1/2" of rain last night with rain forecast over the weekend. I don't normally pray for rain on a holiday weekend but I am this weekend.

Y'all have had all the rain that comes through here lately. It just passes us by.
    When you stop learning you're dead.

We are just coming out of dearth period here. Still the fall/late summer flow is slim pickens, but usually doesn't start here until latter part of September, usually after we get the equinotical rains which we seem to be getting now, just not as much as we need. Not much blooming that they are working except some bitterweed. Brood rearing seems to be picking up again, hopefully they are going to start getting ready for winter.
    "I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country." Nathan Hale, 1776

Snow on the prairie is blooming heavy here. Short golden rod is opening up. Lots of tall gr that is about ready. Not sure of the names Ross posted but I am going to look those up. I am on vacation most of next week so I plan to go spend some quality time with the bees and looking at whats blooming. Starting tomorrow morning.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

They have been goin to town here in Terrell since around Aug 23. Working hard to make up the dearth...and not a moment too soon. Captured three swarms south of I-20. Some keepers must be sleeping while the supers are filling.

We have major flow going on here. There are probably 12-15 acres of sneeze weed (asters) blooming, fields are solid yellow. I am probably going to put some supers on today.
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies." - Thomas Jefferson

I have noticed the Snakeweed blooming, but nothing else, maybe the Thursday night rain will jumpstart the bloom here in south Tarrant Co.

Thanks for picking up my swarms in Terrell. I'll be by to pick them up

Bees are working hard here, watched for about 15 minutes and every other bees was loaded with pollen. It they are able to working like I saw today they will have a good supply for winter.

How have you guys done with honey surplus this year? Are you planning to leave what they make from here on out for winter stores?

By the way, since some from the area are 'gathered', does anyone know a good place to get bottles in N. Tx?

I just use canning jars from Big Lots or Walmart. I just can't see shipping glass and I'm not a big fan of plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by terri lynn View Post
    How have you guys done with honey surplus this year? Are you planning to leave what they make from here on out for winter stores?
    I am going to take a couple of frames and taste it. If it taste good then I will take most and leave them some. I will then either feed a lot of 1:1 or do a mountain camp method.

On the taste part. There has been more broom weed starting to bloom than I see most years, which makes and undesirable tasting honey. (so I've heard and read) The further you go west of I-35 the more broom weed you see.

I do the same as Ross. I get mine at Big Lots.
    Last edited by Hambone; 09-06-2009 at 02:40 PM. Reason: added content
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    I just use canning jars from Big Lots or Walmart. I just can't see shipping glass and I'm not a big fan of plastic.
    Do you sell honey or is it for family and friends? I'm with you on shipping glass. Normally I don't like plastic either, but haven't been sure how I was going to handle the honey I sell.

I have noticed a lot of Goldenrod almost to the point of blooming, and Snow on the Prairie is in full bloom. My bees have been bringing in loads of pollen for the last month, but no nectar since early July. The fall flow will be welcome, so I can stop feeding for a while.

I've gone to mason jars and have a return policy with my few customers. They return the bottle and I don't charge them for one. Works well for me.

I used to use plastic bottles that I bought locally from a company called CKS in Dallas. They had pint, quart and gallon milk containers that worked well with honey. I bought yellow tops to complement the color of the honey and I was happy with them. Haven't done that in years. Advantages were that I could pick them up in my travels so I didn't pay shipping, they weren't glass so they didn't break and they were inexpensive.

I checked their web site and now they have food grade PET bottle designed specifically for honey. Don't know what they cost but if you wanted a nice clear plastic container so you didn't have to worry about breakage or returns that would be it if I were buying them.
    When you stop learning you're dead.

Beyondthesidewalks - thanks, I needed that type of info. I thought I'd do similar to the mason jar/return with family and good friends. I do have a gift shop and a farmer's coop that want to carry it as well, and that's what I am trying to decide on now. I also want a small size for little thank you's or after swarm removal and that type of thing.

Thumbs Up Re: Fall starts in north Texas

Finally, the fall flow is on here in central part of east Texas; goldenrod is about in half bloom, and yellow top weeds are coming on. I have noticed others have posted pictures of these yellow top weeds, and referred to them as goldenrod. These are not what I call goldenrod, but both are blooming now.

I have been feeding since about the first of September coming out of bad dearth period in August. Checked (between drizzling rain), to refill my feeders, and usually my bees will take a quart everyday. I was out of town for most of yesterday and the feeders have not been refilled in several days. None of my quart jars were over half empty (or would that be half full?). I forget which viewpoint is supposed to be optimistic, but I guess it doesn't matter since I consider myself to be a realist.

How is the fall flow coming in the rest of Texas?
    "I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country." Nathan Hale, 1776

I have noticed others have posted pictures of these yellow top weeds, and referred to them as goldenrod. These are not what I call goldenrod, but both are blooming now.
    Probably common sneezeweed. Aster Family/
    http://www.wildflower.org/gallery/sp...?id_plant=HEAU

None of my quart jars were over half empty (or would that be half full?). I forget which viewpoint is supposed to be optimistic, but I guess it doesn't matter since I consider myself to be a realist. How is the fall flow coming in the rest of Texas.
    Half full.

Goldenrod and the sneezweed, and basic asters are blooming like crazy! These last few rains have worked wonders. My GR is about 3/4 bloom. Still lots to open. Hope old man winter doesn't rear his ugly head and give us an early frost.
    Last edited by Hambone; 10-05-2009 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone (Derek) View Post
    Goldenrod and the sneezweed, and basic asters are blooming like crazy! These last few rains have worked wonders. My GR is about 3/4 bloom. Still lots to open. Hope old man winter doesn't rear his ugly head and give us an early frost.
    Looks like you got the broken quotes down now . Looked it up in a book and it looks like Texas golden aster, but I am not for sure.