Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Robber Bees

Default Re: Robber Bees

Nice ESB!! Granted I was not even a twinkle in my parents eyes in 1966. So I have never herd of the Romper Room. (besides my late 90's rave days in Dallas) When they sang this. Did it have the white bouncing ball the went along with the words? I loved that.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

My first experience with the white bouncing ball would have been sing-a-long segments with the Schmoo, which was itself an interlude on the Scooby Doo show, if I remember correctly, which I probably don't.

Ahh, Claster, some of my earliest fantasies....

Derek, every kid had every word to every song memorized. if there were bouncing balls, I don't remember them.

Now, Shmoos, LGOR. Maybe Scoobie Doo had Schmoos (with a 'c'), but Shmoos go back to Al Capp's L'il Abner in the Sunday comics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shmoo

And, our Sunday paper must have rerun those comics, because I'm not THAT old.

I think that, when someone raises the perfect bee, they should call it the 'Shmoo'.

PCQ, to answer your original question, robbing seems to be brought on later in the season by lack of flow. I had some going on earlier with my nucs bein assaulted (SO glad I have those revolving entrance reducers), but we have a late flow going and it has stopped. Even the YJs have pretty much stopped. Some strains/breeds are more prone to robbing than others - Italians having the worst reputation. I have not seen it with my Russians or NWC. The robbers always seem to be lighter-colored bees. But, that is just my observation.

Bill
    “If you want to gather honey, don't kick over the beehive.” - Dale Carnegie

Smile Re: Robber Bees

I'm glad you guys had fun with that. I just learned that they pull the hairs out of their bodies so their scent doesn't alert the bees they are robbing. How clever is that?
    "The greatest threat is our own staggering ignorance and cavalier treatment of the natural world to which we belong."

Quote Originally Posted by Parke County Queen View Post
    I just learned that they pull the hairs out of their bodies so their scent doesn't alert the bees they are robbing.
    Telly Savalas bald Bee's how cool is that. In the words of Kojak, "We're all born bald, baby".

"Who loves ya, baby?"

Is this is any way related to cat burglars?

>I'm glad you guys had fun with that. I just learned that they pull the hairs out of their bodies so their scent doesn't alert the bees they are robbing. How clever is that?

Actually the guard bees on the hive they are robbing pull their hair. I've watched a lot of robbers and they don't seem that clever. A robber screen seems to stop them in their tracks while it doesn't hurt the locals at all...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

They naturally pull hair, you ever seen what we call a "Cat Fight". They are, after all, one gender.

interesting!! thank all!

Dearths seem to cause them, don't know beyond that. I've had a severe dearth. I started feeding mine to protect my hive, when a robber screen wasn't enough. and put out trap hives. Caught one swarm so far.
    Time to be a gypsy again, 2014 will be my prep year, my bees want a better area with actual rainfall.