Thread: Hello from Ohio

Default Hello from Ohio

I am from Ohio. I am not currently a beekeeper, but I am looking into it - I am very interested in the field.

Default Re: Hello from Ohio

Hello,

Welcome to the forums.

I will be starting next Spring. I have my hive built and I am in the process of getting supplies and some equipment. I plan on being ready for my package of bees next year.

Hello and Welcome!

I have several cousins in your area and have many childhood memories of visiting my grandparents' farm near Warren. We hold family reunions at Boardman Park so I get over there occasionally.

The "How to Start Beekeeping" subforum is a good place to start reading. Also, check the library for books and videos on beekeeping. There are a couple of beekeeping clubs near you; the Trumbull County Beekeepers and the Columbiana/Mahoning County Beekeepers.
    http://www.ohiostatebeekeepers.org/R...untyclubs.html

Clubs often offer beginning beekeeping classes and are great places to find mentors and get connected with local beekeepers. I'm sure that you'll be able to find some beekeepers who will be happy to let you come over and check out their bees 'up close and personal'.

Another hearty welcome from a fellow Ohioan!

You're getting started at a good time. Over winter you can do lots of reading up on beekeeping and try to get connected with your area beekeepers. Joining your local association right now would be a great start. You could have everything in place for spring and be to ready to go. Enjoy!
    To everything there is a season....

I too, am from Ohio. Getting ready to take honey off this week-end and hope for a good crop and still leave plenty for the bees this winter. What part of Ohio are you ?