Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Obligatory Welcome Thread and Oversharing Session

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  JOHNYOGA2 
#1 ·
Hi everyone! I'm Quadlex, and I'm an alcoho....

No, wait, different group.

I'm Quadlex, and I'm hoping to become a Beekeeper. My rationale is a bit odd, but here goes:

My grandfather used to keep bees. He was a fitter and turner, great with his hands. I'm terrible with mine. I don't remember working the hives, but I used to love all the equipment, honey harvesting, and chewing on comb.

I'm big on local food, local production, and natural things making foods (Like brewing, sour dough, keffir et al).

Among my other hobbies, I'm a Rover Scout. Rovers are the 18-26 year old scouts, modeled on Chivalry, Service and Challenge. One of my pieces of badge work requires me to do a 6 month project.

So, as a sort of nod to my grandfather, I've decided to do a project that combines my love of food and awesome natural synergistic relationships with manual working and one of his hobbies: Bee keeping.

Oh, don't worry, I'm not going to stop after 6 months ^_^ From what I gather, in Brisbane, Australia, the climate means we get active bees all year 'round, which I'm all down with. I intend to keep bees for a very long time... Or at least until my death army of insects takes over the world and I give them Sweden to dominate as their own.

As for me, I'm a 24 year old Software Engineer, I love to cook, camp, act, and spend time with my friends. I'm currently working at a company who sells information and loving it. I'm a bit random, very friendly and open, and I'm told I do a good impression of David Attenborough, which is always useful.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all ^_^

See less See more
#3 ·
Hello and Welcome!

Glad to have you aboard. Being a software engineer should provide you with a good income to support your beekeeping habit. :) (I'm a software engineer dating back to the days of punch cards!)

The "How to Start Beekeeping" subforum has a lot of good tips for beginners. Check your local library for books & videos about beekeeping. And check to see if there's a local beekeeping club so you can find some mates to help mentor you.

#4 ·
hello you may need that first group if you get to making mead and drinking it instead of water. i'm a newbeek so I don't have much info for you ok so no info for you. I also live in U.S. so thats totally different too they say Italians are the gentlest bees. I have two hives of ferill bees and I just got an Italian Queen today for one of my hives. good luck be good and if you can't be good be carefull.

#5 ·
Welcome Quadlex:
"This is the Waddle, the symbol of our land,
You can stick it in vase or hold it in your hand;
Auatralia, Australia, Australia, KOO-WIE"

Sorry, Monty Python flashback....

With your interests, you might also check out www.wildfermentation.com which is a forum that addresses natural yeast in the making of mead, bread and the like. Are your familiar with the Weston A Price foundation? You might google that. There should be a chapter downunder. You might also google Sally Fallon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.