Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: A mini rant about commercial pollinators

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Weitzel View Post
    All I can say is if I caught someone nosing around by hives without my permission, they would be "splaining" themselves to me looking down the business end of my 12 guage.
    But you also have a creek that the local sheriff lets you dump bodies in.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

Quote Originally Posted by Countryboy View Post
    I can buy unassembled deep boxes for $12,
    I don't use deeps so I don't know the price off the top of my head, but $12 for deeps seems kind of high. Specially for a bulk order.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

I don't use deeps so I don't know the price off the top of my head, but $12 for deeps seems kind of high. Specially for a bulk order.

I'm not buying bulk (unless you consider 10 or 20 boxes to be a bulk order) - and that's the total price. No shipping costs on top of that.

I can't build boxes with free rough cut lumber for that, when I factor in my labor/time costs.

After I posted that I was thinking you were probably including freight in that. $12 still seems high. I am going to look around when I am board in the next few days. I will pm you some better prices(I think). Unless your buying from a friend or don't want to switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Panhandle Scott View Post
    Up until two weeks ago I had noticed less and less bees coming out of the hives. Yesterday afternoon me and my 9 year old daughter walked over to check them out. They have went from 4 strong hives to a skeleton of bees. One hive is doing somewhat decent, another looks on its last leg and the other two were dead as a hammer.
    Good for you. The people that are condemning you need to get a grip. You cant shoot someone for trespassing these days. It is like force. So straying onto the property with a bee suit on does not constitute a bullet. In Sweden you can go camp on your neighbors property for several days. That is the other extreme. But, I applaud you for checking out the hives. There is a cruelty to animals law. Don't think it applies to insects but, maybe it should.

I would give them a call worst thing they could say is take a flying leap or mind your own business. OR maybe thank you for telling us.

"There is a cruelty to animals law. Don't think it applies to insects but, maybe it should."

Really!! I can already see the headlines.

Parents arrested with new cruelty to insects law. There neighbor called 911 after witnessing there children squishing bugs.

Beekeeper arrested for squishing SHB

Beekeeper given citation for squishing bees when installing a new super to his hive.

Man arrested after neighbor witnessed him neglecting to stop his dog from killing hornets.

One of the main principles when this country was founded was tolerance.

Unfortionatley the idiots still probably would not get it if they were in the cuffs. This country is becoming and idiocracy.

Cmon guys, lets stay on topic. This is getting a bit "tailgatorish" here.
    Sheri

This topic comes up occasionally:
    Someone sees neglected hives on someones property,assumes they are abandoned ,and thinks about taking possession.
    They may be abandoned, or they could be what I call MIA's.I recently found out about 8 of our hives that were left in an almond orchard a couple years ago.Don't ask how but in the insanity of almond pollination it happens , especially where other people are involved in the moving. So they weren't abandoned per se, but they were definitely neglected. I would have appreciated a call from the grower or a neighbor saying something like
    "Hey Bonehead, are you EVER going to come get your bees?"

Quote Originally Posted by loggermike View Post
    I would have appreciated a call from the grower or a neighbor saying something like
    "Hey Bonehead, are you EVER going to come get your bees?"
    That is what I was saying. But, you did it more eloquently. Worst thing they could do is hang up on you and give you dirty looks when they come out. Being nosy is not really a good trait but, nosy is helpful sometimes.

When someone's house is robbed and the nosy neighbor came onto the property and saw in the back yard a truck being loaded up with all your possessions and called the police and wrote the license plate down. I think that would be helpful.

Respect for other peoples property is one of the founding principles of this country. Remember "taxation without representation"? Some one tried to take our property without permission. There is a reason one of my kin "waited till they say the whites of their eyes", so don't start a fight you can't finish. It's that simple.

Roland

I can see the OPs intention. He likely wasn't 'trespassing', most rural neighbors don't get that excited unless there's a malicious or criminal intent on the entry to the property. Neighbors typically aren't seen as 'malicious or criminal' unless of course they are the Hatfields and McCoys.

He saw what looked to be a sad situation and took a looksee to find out how bad it might be. no harm no foul. He only said the thought of taking the bees to rebuild them into a strong hive passed through his mind, not that he was actually going to do it.

Commercial keepers look at beekeeping somewhat differently than hobbyist or even conservation keepers. Not all commercial keepers are 'bad guys', some may just be behind schedule or in over their head. It's usually in their best interest to keep bees alive and healthy. It minimizes total operating costs in the long run. Only those who only see the 'short course' don't appreciate the long term benefits of keeping colonies alive and healthy.

There's a lot of times, as a truckdriver, I have gotten an urge to indulge 'rage rage moment' when you have utter morons speed up only to cut in front of a loaded semi and then stomp on their brakes. Thankfully, I keep my senses and they keep their lives. It doesn't mean one is actually going to act in an illegal manner, just the level of frustration one feels when they see something that they think is wrong.

Most of the advice here has been spot on though. Call the landowner, call the keepers Apprise them of the findings and maybe you will have been a help. If they tell you to 'bug off', well, you know that you handle things better and your bees are much better off.

Big Bear

BigBear, I would have to agree with you on all points. I think you summed up this situation very eloquently.

Quote Originally Posted by Panhandle Scott View Post
    That is also what is wrong with alot of this country....people minding their business and letting shoddy practices to continue no matter what it is.
    Remember what we are talking about here. In the eyes of the law and the vast majority of commercial beekeepers, these bees are property. They are NOT PETS, they are NOT CHILDREN. They are property pure and simple. You are not the authority on how other beekeepers should run their business. Free market principles will always weed out the ones with poor business practices and frankly it would surprise you to learn what makes the best practice when looking at things from a business sense. These bees were not your neighbors property so the argument of "looking out for your neighbor" is disingenuous at best. If you think folks will take kindly to strangers snooping around their property then you are not thinking clearly. They don't know who you are or your intentions. My sage advice to you in situations like this is to mind your own business. Take it for what it is, but if you continue this type of behavior, someone somewhere will take you to task over it and it may not be pretty. Personally, I would not object to someone contacting me and inquiring about my hives, my response would be along the lines of "thank you for your concern, but I have the situation under control". If I found out that they had taken it upon themselves to unilaterally dig into my hives, as I indicated in my previous post, the civility of my response would change dramatically.

To those of you who seem to want to support justification of this kind of intrusive behavior, I offer the same advice.

PS. One other thing you should consider is that now you have opened yourself up to claims of theft or vandalism. How does the beekeeper know that you did not shake out most of the bees and steal them? He could claim that this is why they are now so weak. You could find yourself in the uncomfortable position of defending yourself against criminal charges.
    Last edited by Gene Weitzel; 09-14-2009 at 01:17 PM. Reason: added post script
    "The UNKNOWN, huh? That would be SNORBERT ZANGOX over in Waycross."

I have to say that I have really enjoyed this post as entertainment and how there are such opposing points of view.

I am a property owner and do not want people on my property. Not one that would shoot someone for trespassing but, would be quite a bit mad. Now this hive thing I could go either way on it and do feel for the bee's. Yes they are property but, Bee's evoke a different response then spiders do. So not really pets we all feel for them. Dolphins are not pets but, we feel kind of the same way as people do bee's.

Cheers to the guy that checked out the hives. I would not mention that he looked inside when he calls the farm owner. Curiosity killed the cat. Just tell him they look really sickly and thought you should let them know.

Comparing bees to dolphins is indeed a PETA type attitude. They are two completely different things. I am beginning to understand why many wanted this particular forum to be limited to commercial beekeepers and sideliners only when discussions were taking place about creating a Commercial/Pollination forum.

There appears to be enough "sniping" going on already so I am just going to say,
    "doing the wrong thing even for the right reasons can still get you in a lot of trouble".

Sorry for being profane and upset Barry....my apologies...
    "You laugh at me because I am different, but I laugh at you because you are all the same."

If being concerned that someone like myself who derives part of my income from my beekeeping activities could suffer this type of unwanted, unwarranted and probably illegal intrusion into my business and have many on this board approve of it is "sniping" then color me guilty.

From where I stand, I can't let any encouragement of this type of behavior go unanswered, regardless of how "well intentioned" some may consider this behavior.

Since the OP said they were right by his house, I assume he is close enough to observe them without actually trespassing.
    In my case ,I would appreciate a call about hives tipped over,or some danger facing them(like a bear in the yard, or a cropduster dumped right on the yard)
    But I too would resent a call from someone who opened my hives , and I would NOT be very pleasant to talk to ! That crosses the line .I also dont appreciate people snooping around my hives when they clearly have no business being in the beeyard. This happens from time to time, and I also have a comb or two of honey stolen occasionally. So, there is a line between concern and just being nosy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Weitzel View Post
    If being concerned that someone like myself who derives part of my income from my beekeeping activities could suffer this type of unwanted, unwarranted and probably illegal intrusion into my business and have many on this board approve of it is "sniping" then color me guilty.

From where I stand, I can't let any encouragement of this type of behavior go unanswered, regardless of how "well intentioned" some may consider this behavior.
    By my using the term "sniping" I was just trying to convey that the comments were getting a little personal (my opinion only) I fully agree with many that if they are not your hives or you dont have permission then hands off, even if you think you are doing someone a favor.
    This last week I was asked to inspect some deadout equipment in someones backyard, A single hive (4 deeps) placed about 5 years ago and no sign of the owner since. The land owner has been unable to get a hold of the beekeeper and she wanted advice. I told her what needed to be done to once again have bees in the hive, she was concerned about what if the beekeeper just showed up one day. I told her that if that happened they should move the bees to a new box, give him his old equipment back plus charge him for the paint used to keep the stuff in reasonable shape. I have also been told by others that after this amount of time the gear is forfeit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast