Default Should I split this hive now?

This single layer hive is in a local nature center. It has a shallow frame over two deep frames. Then on the bottom (in place of a deep frame) is a medium frame with comb drawn from the bottom bar. This bottom most frame was foundationless from last season and was fun to watch the bees draw it out. The two deep frames are full of capped and emerging brood and eggs and larvae. Both sides look similar. The shallow at the very top is being filled with syrup in open cells. Maybe a little nectar, too. The bottom most frame is always void of bees because it is cold down there which is where the entrance is.

Should I split now? Or leave as-is. There are no queen cups of cells.

Option 1: I thought about removing the top most deep (including adhering bees) and replacing it with a deep foundationless frame with only a starter strip. I am in mid-MD and the flow will begin soon. it would be fun to watch the bees draw this new frame out. Would this work?

Option 2: I could remove the bottom most frame (the medium with comb drawn down from the bottom bar) and then shift the two deep frames covered with bees downward, thus making an opening above for the foundationless frame with starter strip. Would this be a better idea?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Should I split this hive now?

You would probably be Okay for a few more brood cycles. But you are getting close. You have no inner frames so they do not have a place to hide swarm cells and give you a surprise. When doing my spring split on my Observation hives I take 50 to 66% of the bees and the queen No or little brood, and 25%of the frames, in your case 1 frame. what that frame contains would depend on where you are taking the split. if the split will be kept where the foragers can return to the OH. then I would Take a frame with plenty of stores as the split will wind up with few foragers. If the split is going to a location several miles away I would take a frame with minimal stores. Since you are on the cusp of your flow you only need worry about stores until the flow begins. What the frames contain and the hive situation is more important than it's location. Weather you do it now or in a couple weeks depends on your available time to do so. IMHO

Default Re: Should I split this hive now?

Thanks for the input! I split a week ago. Removed one frame of brood with adhering bees. Replaced with foundationless frame with starter strip. Show in the attached image is the hive 24 hours later. They are already building lobes of comb on the starter strip. Top shallow is full of capped brood. Middle deep is also full of capped brood. Bottom deep has lots of bee bread.
    xoh2.jpg