Default bees on the move

Need some advice for moving my bees, please.
    I will be moving my hives from Savannah GA to Dallas TX at the end of Oct. I expect to take three to four days to make the trip. Right now, all of the hives have plenty of food stores.
    Will the bees travel OK restricted to the hives for three or four days?
    I imagine it will be a bit cooler in TX that time of the year, other than putting solid bottom boards on the hives, will anything else be necessary to move the girls safely?
    Thanks,
    Steve

Default Re: bees on the move

Steve,
    How many hives are you moving?
    -Rob Bliss
    Bliss Honey and bee supplies

Just two hives. Each is a deep with a medium on top.
    I'll be dragging a camper, so I am sure it will take three days.
    Steve

I would still use ventilated inner cover because even late October you can have some pretty warm days down south (screened inner cover). Stores shouldnt be a problem and can be remedied by feeding after you arrive if need be. Just be sure to keep the greasy side down and the shiney side up.

Steve,
    Just beware of hot weather, that would be my biggest concern. If I were moving only 2 hives, I'd fold some #8 hardware cloth and shove it in the entrance so no bees can come out. Make sure there are no holes in the hive or cracks that the bees can escape through. You might want to duct tape it together. You could squirt some water in the entrance through the hardware cloth during your trip if need be. Can you get some ventillation into the camper so it doesn't get to hot? Good luck.
    -Rob Bliss
    Bliss Honey and bee supplies

other than putting solid bottom boards on the hives, will anything else be necessary to move the girls safely?
    Thanks,
    Steve[/QUOTE]

if the bees are on screened bottom boards i'd leave them there.
    all that is gold does not glitter

My plan is to bind the hives with cargo straps and just tote them in the back of my truck.
    I do have screened bottom boards on, any other suggestions on how to get water to them?
    Steve

Make some top screens and put spacers under the lid so that you get a air flow through the hives. Use flat plywood for temp. lids if you run into cool weather pull the spacers and screw the lids down tight. With the screen on top you can mist through the top screen. Bees can take more cold than heat if they can not regulate the heat.
    Dan