Default San Joaquin Valley Beeks

My company is trying to get me to move back to Bakersfield, so I'm thinking about it. I've got my hives here in Farmington. They are mostly Carnies, so I'm wanting to know how they would do around Bakerfield. I have a couple of questions.
    • Will Carnies do good in Bakersfield

• What other bees are keeps using out there

• What hive issues are you seeing, mites, AFB, EFB, etc

I know when my grandfarther had bees back in the 80's, he had Italians, but I'm sure that has all changed now.

Thanks for your help.

Default Re: San Joaquin Valley Beeks

The carnis do realy well here as do the russians. I'm fifty miles from Bakersfield and have a little more flow but otherwise we're pretty similar. I have found that the dark bees really explode in the spring but use less feed during the summer dearth. They are also quik to resond to feeding so you can build new bees really fast and then shut them right back down for the winter.
    I also have italians, mainly cordovans, but the dark bees are quickly becoming my favorites.
    I deal with just about everything that the bees face as there is such a concentration of bees on any bee freindly area that there's just no way to keep from getting whatever your neighbor has.

Cow Pollinater - who's carnies and russians are you using? You can pm me if you like.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by bhfury View Post
    My company is trying to get me to move back to Bakersfield, so I'm thinking about it. I've got my hives here in Farmington. They are mostly Carnies, so I'm wanting to know how they would do around Bakerfield.
    It's too much trouble trying to pack the girls all the way out there. Just set those hives out on the curb when you leave and someone will pick 'em up.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Digman View Post
    It's too much trouble trying to pack the girls all the way out there. Just set those hives out on the curb when you leave and someone will pick 'em up.
    If it does happen..... I'm sure I will be taking them with me. These are very nice girls.... I'm going to make them movie stars in California

No really they will be alright. Barry's used to picking up girls on the curb.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

Hey BH. Hook me up with some of that Moo Creamery when you move back.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

Quote Originally Posted by bhfury View Post
    Cow Pollinater - who's carnies and russians are you using?
    Greg
    Well... They're all mine of course..
    Some are swarms with marked queens but I've bought some from Oliveras and Khoenens carnis mated to Italian drones. Both are superb. I have a russian breeder from Glenns and one batch of daughters out of her. The daughters are mutts at this point but they are performing really well.
    Don't get me wrong, Italians do fine here but the dark bees are winning me over.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
    Hey BH. Hook me up with some of that Moo Creamery when you move back.

OK, if I go...I'll figure a way of getting you some.

Quote Originally Posted by cow pollinater View Post
    Well... They're all mine of course..
    Some are swarms with marked queens but I've bought some from Oliveras and Khoenens carnis mated to Italian drones. Both are superb. I have a russian breeder from Glenns and one batch of daughters out of her. The daughters are mutts at this point but they are performing really well.
    Don't get me wrong, Italians do fine here but the dark bees are winning me over.
    I've only had carnies and italians. I like the carnies better that's why I'm hoping they will do well in Bakersfield.

Default Re: San Joaquin Valley Beeks (Russian Bees)

Is anyone using Russian bees for almonds pollination? Or are Russian bees so far behind the curve during winter they that aren't ready for the Almond pollination season.