Default single brood boxes

I am from louisiana and have been using double deep brood boxes. This has wortked fine except when you are requeening then you have 20 frames to look thru. Anyway I have been told that some other commercial beeks are using single brood boxes with an excluder with the same honey production as me with 2 boxes. they say the only downfall is you must feed during the winter months. If this is the only drawbacks of this operation and the honey production is the same as with 2 boxes then I would like to use this method. Any opinions on this subject would be appreciated. Thanks Tracy

Default Re: single brood boxes

I run both, but only have about 15 hives. My granddad kept bees commercially and had very few, if any, double deeps. I am in south alabama, most of his bees were in the panhandle of florida, I am assuming similar climate to yours. I really have not noticed any difference in production between 1 or 2 brood boxes. The main reason I have expanded mine to two deeps was to relieve congestion. I do rent a few boxes for pollination, and the ones I will be moving, I make sure they are singles.

I talked to a large beekeeper from Canada two years ago at the AHPA convention. He runs 5,000 hives all in singles. Runs excluders above the single deep and they go right through without problems. In the fall he feeds them syrup until they're pretty much honey bound so they have enough stores to make it through winter. He overwinters in Canada and they make it. I thought about giving it a try but since I go to the almonds and my grower prefers two boxes I've never done it. Let us know how it goes if you try it.
    -Rob Bliss
    Bliss Honey and bee supplies

I know beeks that winter in FL using singles(I worked for one for 5+ winters and had 120 colonies my own there 2 yrs ago). They summer in WI. After final honey pull(mid sept) they are fed 2-4 gal. HFCS. Sent to FL in Nov. and fed another 2 gal HFCS within 2 wks of arriving there. You don't want them to get syrup bound, 4 frames of stores plus pollen is good. When maple bloom starts they are "trickle fed"(only leave a few holes in feeder open) 20% water added to HFCS to get brood rearing stimulation. By mid Feb. there is 6-8 frames brood ready to split in half. Some beeks will place on first super without excluder then after they are storing in super they drive bees down then put on excluder and pile on supers according to flow and colony strength. If I would go back south for winters I would send doubles, split to singles in spring(after equalizing brood in both boxes then seperate with excluder to find queenless half 3 days later), run as singles for honey production until fall then combine, kill old/poor queens then newspaper combine with new/good queen colonies to make doubles. The dbls I sent to FL before always had more brood in spring than singles. I now run 1 1/2 story with no excluder and have less swarm issues than single w/ excluder.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeslave View Post
    I now run 1 1/2 story with no excluder and have less swarm issues than single w/ excluder.
    So that is what I use the excluders for. I run double deeps and no excluder and it seems like she knows to stay in bottom boxes.