Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Requeened-not accepted again- help!

Quote Originally Posted by CentralPAguy View Post
    KLY,

I am going to keep my fingers crossed for you that your queen is there and has started laying eggs at the minimum. Remember to smoke your bees in order to reduce the possibility of being stung and avoid an allergic reaction.
    agreed

KLY,

Wht I requeen, I open the hive in three days to make sure that the girls got her out.

But I usually don't start looking for her for another week after she has been let out as I am looking for larvae. I don't know if I have lost queens for bees balling her up by looking deep into the hive at that time.

But I did see my bees attack my new queen as I let her out on the 4th day.

I also read that some of the queen breeders sell their queens too young where the queen's pherome is not at full strength.

Do you buy your queen's locally or thru the mail?

Thank you honeyshack and CentralPAguy, I am really listening to what you both have to say- I think I will wait 12 more days to recheck and then requeen if I need to.

I like to think of it more as a stewardship than having them as pets or livestock, but I understand the point and sometimes it is better to be more objective in making decisions for the hives. It is all such a humbling learning experience. I am thankful to have this forum for support!

Thank you,
    Kelly

Do you buy your queen's locally or thru the mail?
    I bought her through the mail and when she arrived she was smaller than I have usually seen queens.
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 08-26-2009 at 05:51 AM. Reason: useing entire quote back

KLY,

Wht I requeen, I open the hive in three days to make sure that the girls got her out.
    That's what I was doing today, but I think I lingered too long, I was getting nervous the queen was already released so I started to look for signs and saw the three emergency queen cups started and I had removed the one I had found on Friday so they were all new.

hello,again now the small queen happened to me on one hive....she laid a few eggs then superceded her.go in and check I would as long as temps are good....not worth the stress..

How is the hive doing?

I have taken your advise and I am waiting the 12 days until I check again... so far it has only been a week. I can't wait to see how they are doing, I will be sure to let you know!

I followed this thread with interest because I too am a first year beek and had the bad luck to have a poor or no-laying queen this summer, and the really bad problem of a laying worker. I had fourteen queen cells but probably no successful new queen because (1) the laying worker killed the emerging queen or (2) no fertile eggs to hatch into queens. I finally dumped the bees onto the ground (seven stings) in order to get rid of the old queen and/or the laying worker and re-queened. I checked three days after inserting the queen cage to be sure she was released, and she was out. I checked a week later (day 10 after re-queening) and at that point I did not see the queen (she was marked) and I did not see much change in the hive. I too was sure that the new queen had not survived. I was pretty depressed and decided to just continue to feed the hive and wait to see what the situation was. A week later (day 17) I inspected again and I had capped brood and larva! I inspect every 7 to 10 days. I have yet to see the queen, and I am not very good at identifying eggs. However, the hive is very calm compared to when it was queenless, there are no new queen cells and I continue to see capped brood and larvae. So there is a queen and she is doing her thing. Day 12 after re-queening may be too early to be sure what is going on unless your new queen got busy right away.

I am retired from working for physicians for 35 years. I am concerned about your bee venom allergy. I assume your allergist knows you keep bees, and that you have an EpiPen in your pocket whenever you approach your hive. As has been discussed in previous threads, one does not build up a tolerance by repeated stings, and professional beekeepers have had to give up their hives due to new bee sting allergies. I am very careful, but sometimes you just get stung, i.e., when I had to dump the bees and reassemble the hive. Sometimes I get a sting through my glove. If you lose your hive (and I hope you don't) you may want to rethink this hobby. The natural progression of the hobby is to grow your hive and split it. Otherwise it will swarm, which may be OK with you. Two hives are probably easier to manipulate than a single, as you can switch out frames of brood, honey, etc. However, that means double the opportunity to be stung.

Hope all goes well --

Debbie

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for your message. I hope you have better luck with your bees too!
    It will really be day 16 for me if I count from when I put the new queen into the hive (it is 12 days from when I saw she was released) I am not sure when I should check, I am just so anxious though. But you are right, I should wait and she may just start laying, I hope so!

As for my allergy, I apparently have always been allergic, I just did not know it until I found this passion and well the third sting I received was to my head, which swelled to E.T. proportions. It was never an option for me to give up beekeeping and I was lucky to have an allergist who is understanding, she compared it to someone having a dog, you can't just tell them to give up their dog! (this is not to compare bees with dog and think of them as pets but just to compare it to something you love) I am very careful, have EpiPen with me wherever I go and I actually have my shot tomorrow (now monthly) My reactions seem to be less extreme, none being severe. And it has never been life-threatening. Thanks for your concern, but I'll be OK, it's my bees to worry about!

Thanks,
    Kelly
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 09-02-2009 at 03:44 AM. Reason: unnessary quote

Day 12 is from the day the queen is put in the hive.
    Day 1...install queen cage...in such a way as you are able to check if the queen has been released
    Day 4...check the least invasive way possilbe if the queen is released. Try not to remove frames.
    Day 12...look for eggs and larva

Ohhh, I misunderstood- I plan to check Thursday then, I will let you know what I see... thanks!
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 09-02-2009 at 03:47 AM. Reason: unnessary quote

Today I saw eggs!! Hooray! One in each cell.

I also saw something weird, outside the hive there were a few dead pupae, white color, laying about. I even saw a worker carrying one. I am not sure what this means.

Overall the hive seems to be doing much better.

THANKS!
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 09-03-2009 at 07:59 AM. Reason: unnessary quote

Have you hit a dearth? Those could be drone eggs and larva if you have. If you are in the tail end of your honey flow, your hive could still be in trouble because there will be not much time to get ready for winter
    You might consider your options...
    If you decide to keep this hive, get feed on them to help them build and give them pollen patties.
    HOwever, a queen will shut down as the weather changes and as the sun light decreases so think hard and decide what you want to do

CONGRATS on having a queen....good job on waiting it out. Patience is one thing a farmer of all types needs

Hi again so here is an update on my hive and I have another weird issue wasn't sure to make a new post or just continue with this one since it is about the same hive...

Today I inspected and saw queen not much brood at all, some larva, but the weird thing was there were a noticeable amount of smaller size workers in a lighter body color with very tiny eyes. I tried to take photos but they came out blurry.

I do realize I have a different queen but she is Italian as was the previous queen and I am afraid of possibly having a mutation, (which I just read about and it scared me, but every time I do read my bee books I think I have another problem so I may be overreacting)

There was also a start of an emergency queen cell.

I am feeding sugar water and gave them a piece of Mega bee today, I saw them bringing in pollen and they seem to have a good supply of honey, hoping she will start laying more, previously I had a drone laying queen.

Don't know if the weird looking bees should be a concern???

Thanks!

KLY

My hives are full of different looking bees...remember there are multiple fathers involved so this is to be expected. What you describe sounds like newly emerged workers. They come out of the cells looking a little smaller and a good bit lighter than more mature workers.
    "Lead, follow, or get out of they way". Thomas Paine

the first time i saw one emerge, I questioned it myself. MUCH SMALLER than what i expected....but they are nice, new, smaller and do get bigger.....LOL
    "You laugh at me because I am different, but I laugh at you because you are all the same."

if there is an emergency queen cel, there should be several. When it is an emergency they tend to make alot of cells on the face of a frame.
    Is it just a queen cup? Is there anything in there?
    At what stage is it?
    Does it look like a can opener opened it at the bottom. It would look a little jagged, not alot, like torn paper.
    May be that is the cell the queen came from. If it is, the cap might have just closed up the cell and you think there is a queen in there but really it is empty...post that blury pic.
    If you were in a dearth, and the queen shut down before you started to feed they might thing that there is something wrong with the queen.
    I would knock back the cell, check it first for something in there.
    Do they have enough room but not alot of extra space?

Sometimes it is hard to get them out of the queen making thing.

Small bees, just hatched.

Quote Originally Posted by honeyshack View Post
    if there is an emergency queen cel, there should be several. When it is an emergency they tend to make alot of cells on the face of a frame.
    Is it just a queen cup? Is there anything in there?
    At what stage is it?
    Does it look like a can opener opened it at the bottom. It would look a little jagged, not alot, like torn paper.
    May be that is the cell the queen came from. If it is, the cap might have just closed up the cell and you think there is a queen in there but really it is empty...post that blury pic.
    If you were in a dearth, and the queen shut down before you started to feed they might thing that there is something wrong with the queen.
    I would knock back the cell, check it first for something in there.
    Do they have enough room but not alot of extra space?

Sometimes it is hard to get them out of the queen making thing.

Small bees, just hatched.
    The queen cell was just started - open and small - only one and not well formed- stubby, I guess you could say. I saw the queen and she wad marked.. looked larger than when she first arrived.. funny how that is.
    I don't think I am in a dearth now because so much pollen is being brought in and my friend near by who has a hive is getting a dark nectar flow. for the space issue- I actually still have my super on - not for honey but for space if they need it and they are still not building up that comb so I assume they have enough space- it looked like there was room in the first deep for laying...

"The waiting is the hardest part"

Thanks!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12