Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Dadant Cut Comb Foundation in the Heat and Pollen Subs

7K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Hambone 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I got a super and some Cut comb foundation from Dadant a while ago. I finally put the super on and after a day in the heat the foundation was folded down towards the brood. Is there a step I am missing in keeping this foundation held in place in the frames?

Also, anyone have any thoughts or favorites when it comes to MegaBee or any other feeds?

Thanks!

#4 ·
You probally didn't have the wedge tight enough to the foundation. After installing the wedge pour a small stream of melted beeswax where the foundation and the wedge meet. That will help glue it in place. I found it easier to just use a starter strip(1" Wide) instead of the whole sheet. Hive must be level side to side but not front to back. Even with glueing the foundation in and being level the weight of the bees will warp the foundation occasionally.

#6 ·
I had the same problem. I then bought a tool from Dadant called a wax tube fastener. You use melted wax which is drawn up in the tube. By holding your finger over an air hole it retains the wax in the tube. You then drizzle the wax along where the foundation goes in the wedge of the frame. It worked very well for me. I combine tasks by assembling my cut comb frames at the same time I make a few beeswax candles. It costs less than $10

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.