Default New clue could explain

Associated Press

WASHINGTON Researchers have a new clue to the collapse of honey bee colonies across the country damage to the bees' internal "factories" that produce proteins.
    http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dw...11081999b.html
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

Default Re: New clue could explain

Maybe this could explain / justify the expense we are spending on protien in pollen sub.

Hope to hear more about what we can do with this info to help our hives?

Larry
    Larry Pender,Jubilee HoneyBee Company,Camarillo, CA

The article seems to suggest that to cure/prevent CCD, we must control mites. Controlling mites is of course a good idea in and of itself.
    I find it curious that beekeepers have been dealing with mites for many years but only recently has CCD become an issue. What changed? Did the mites acquire a new pathogen..... virus, bacteria, spore... in the past few years they didn't previously carry that would cause damage not previously seen? Or are other factors exacerbating the damage?
    Sheri

It's funny that in the article it mentions how the mites are causing the bees to not be able to handle pesticide. Sounds like a cover up to me. Beeks that have very low to no mites still have the problem. If we eliminated the pesticides(beeks and farmers) the bees would survive with the mites(over time). Yes I use miticides, it's vital to financially survive. Why do they keep putting it on the beekeepers and the bee's ailments!

"If your ribosome is compromised, then you can't respond to pesticides, you can't respond to fungal infections or bacteria or inadequate nutrition because the ribosome is central to the survival of any organism. You need proteins to survive," May R. Berenbaum, head of the department of entomology at Illinois, said in a statement.

Or are they saying that since the ribosome is comprimised that pesticides can't hurt you. Yet most beeks keep seeing the effects of the pesticides on their bees.

How about these studies?
    http://www.beekeeping.org/articles/us/afb_gm.htm

"Laboratory studies carried out by the French government research institute INRA indicate that pollen from some GM crops shortens the lifespan of adult bees. Also, it seems to cause some learning dysfunctions that could result in the disorientation of foraging bees. Disoriented bees may become lost or unable to locate nectar sources."

This was before CCD became widespread, yet it follows where the crops are grown.

I don't have any saved links to give you but what sounds like sense to me is that the new Nosema could be the culprit. with this new disease, once the mites have spread it throughout the hive, the bees become susceptible to everything that they would normally tolerate or heal from. It is like having aids or an immune deficiency disorder. This is why in many of the hives they found almost every disease known in one hive. People with aids can die from a common cold or a cut to the finger. He bees get sick and can not make it back to the hive, others simply die and are cleaned up by what healthy ones remain.

The new Nosema seems to be resistant to fumagilin too! Bad news.

I am not saying it could not be GM crops. This is an easy one to get rid of though and should be. In england if I got my info correct as soon as they forced company's to visibly label products that contained GM plants, customers drove them out of business over night. Nobody wants to eat Genetically Modified plants. The company's lobby very hard to prevent this from happening here. Why do you think that is? LOL!!

Thank you so much for sharing that link - I'd not heard about that report yet. Be careful how you read news about science studies. Look for the reported facts/findings in the actual study report and then see how many may lead to's, Indicates, could lead to's, and other chains of logic the reporters or others that comment on the study add. This study found RNA fragments in the bee gut. Sick bees have a high number of viral infections. Period. How it got there, what is breaking the RNA down, what causes it, what happening to the bee - all the rest is conjecture and theory that need further testing.

The title says it all - one more clue. There is no answer yet, just more questions.

Since there has been no one clear cut answer yet, I hope, I hope good studies continue to find out which of the clues are important and how we can overcome CCD.

Well said clgs....
    Thanks for your time, Beehopper

I'm a first year beekeeper. I don't under stand ccd from what I have read about ccd all the bees are gone no dead bees. The bees just seem to disapire. With a few to no bees left in the hive. so if the bees are sick it looks to me like they would just die in the hive.

They fly off and dont come home. (neonictineoids affect immune system and cause social dysfunction) I think beeslave said it well above!