Default First year beekeeper from Maine

Hi all. I'm happy to have found this forum. I started my first hive in May and have had quite an adventure. Because of our very cool and constantly wet weather in June and July, the little darlings had no place to put the nectar from a very heavy flow in June (being a new hive, they hadn't yet built comb on the new foundation). So they swarmed. Four times! I thought I was doing something terribly wrong until I visited a beekeeper with 50 years experience who had a swarm while we chatted. He said mine swarmed because it was a new hive and they had no place to store the goodies. I captured two of my swarms and had three hives at one point. Recently I combined the hives (in two sessions) and now have a robust, healthy hive that is now working on a honey super. Never thought I'd see that this year. Anyway, I've gained far more experience than I expected, but I've had a great time. Can't wait for next year, as I plan to add another hive. Looking forward to learning from you folks.

Default Re: First year beekeeper from Maine

Welcome,
    My wife & I started this year, it's a lot of fun.
    Dan

welcome treeoflife! I'm not too far from you. About 1+ hour. You must have talked with Rick Cooper? If not, he's a great resource in your general area (bowdoinham) Glad to see another Mainer on the board!

Let's BEE friends

Thanks for the welcomes, Hummingberd and KQ6AR. Yes, Hummingberd, I know Rick and he's been an invaluable resource as I struggled with the swarms and combines. Everything went well thanks to his advice (not to mention the confidence boosts). Glad to know you are here!

hello,this is my second year.First wasn't as exciting as yours mine went like this..bees arrived two weeks late end of may almost missed apple bloom they used nector to make combs..Than the bee catching birds everyday 4 of them...before winter they only had 4 partly filled frames full of stores one deep not even full..feed pollen patties from mann lake put 3 one pounders in..
    they made it...this year should have build more boxes..ordered new queen firgured i will have two hives this year nope 5 hives 2 wall removals and one observation hive i built 4' tall and 42" wide 3 frames deep 4 frames long...

Your observation hive sounds awesome!