Re: The real evil in HFCS/Mercury
The only bone I have to pick with this information is that they estimate the potential mercury exposure using the level of mercury from the single highest sample they tested. A large percentage of the samples tested below the detection limit. This would seem to indicate that the risk of being exposed to the overdoses of mercury claimed would be quite small since the chances that all of the HFCS consumed by one person would be contaminated to that extent is small. The reality is that the majority would be below detection limits. While I agree that the data shows that more investigation is needed and certianly supports the contention that mercury cell clor-alkali products should not be used in the production of food ingredients, I don't see support in the data that dangerous levels of mercury exposure can be attributed to HFCS consumption.
Don't get me wrong, it would be great if we could 100% eliminate exposure to heavy metals like mercury, but it just is not possible when every liter of air on the planet contains 0.6 nanograms of mercury vapor. A zero tolerance attitude is not realistic.
As for how mercury affects bees, I don't have any data on that. At this point, the small amount of mercury (it is measured in parts per trillion, 1 ppt is the equivalent of 1 drop in 20 Olympic swimming pools full of water, so even a few hundred ppt is an extremely small contamination) that may or may not be in the HFCS that I feed my bees IMO, seems much less of an issue than the pesticides that they are exposed to with certainty everyday while foraging.
"The UNKNOWN, huh? That would be SNORBERT ZANGOX over in Waycross."