Default Couple new to beekeeping

Great forum! My wife and I are in our first year(of beekeeping that is). Back in Feb she got curious about it, and called the local bee guild about having hives put in our yard to help with pollination of our garden. Luckily, the man they recommended, Steve Demkowski, lives only a few blocks from us. He came and put two hives in our yard. We get 10% of what he harvests. He told us we could just let him do eveything, or he would teach us to set our own hives and reap all the rewards.
    After reading everything we could about it, and watching the bees for a few days, that was it! We had to have our own hives. I built all the brooder and super boxes. We got two of our own going with a few frames from Steves hives. We plan on setting up two more later with package bees.
    Steves hives each have one deep and two medium supers already full and ready to extract. We added another med onto each in the meantime.
    The other day, we had the pleasure of meeting Franklin Carrier, a master beekeeper for over 50 yrs and author of many books, two of which are now in our possesion. He's owned a bee supply store here in San Jose for over 35 years. We happened to enter his shop as he was extracting. He showed us every step of the process. We can't wait to do our own. He is such an amazing man. He also teaches classes which we are going to attend.
    He was gracious enough to autograph the books for us. I have to say that of all the books we've read, his are the easiest to read, most logically laid out, and very informative. These books are well worth adding to your library.

Well, we look forward to many years of beekeeping, and learning a lot from this forum.

Mike and Katherine.
    Last edited by Willowglenapiary; 08-18-2009 at 06:15 PM.

Default Re: Couple new to beekeeping

Hi & welcome,

My wife & I also started this spring. We're up here in Concord, CA.
    Those are some great experiences you have already had. Our best so far was spending a day working bees with Randy Oliver, in grass valley. Very interesting day.
    Dan

Default Re: Couple new to beekeeping

We look forward to working with other keepers to learn all we can. Today we opened our two brooder chambers we started, and got to see one of the queens for the first time. Very exciting! Last weekend we opened them for the first time, and were very nervous. We made some mistakes that cost the lives of about 2 dozen bees. But before doing it today, I read through the book to learn what to look for, and the proper techniquies, and felt very comfortable going in. We maybe lost 2 or 3 bees. I feel better this time. And I'm sure it will become second nature. We're fortunate to live in the Bay Area where the bees can fly year round. Good luck, and keep us posted.