Default Too Many Drones and min. brood, PICS- help pls

Hello,

So now I seem to have too many drones and even the brood seems to be mostly all drones. There also is not much brood, but a lot of honey but still not building up the comb in the one super I have on. Which is another question, how can you tell if a hive is honey bound vs. normal honey storage?

I did see the queen on this inspection. I had requeened this hive earlier this summer but they didn't like her and had requeened themselves- she wasn't only laying drones before, is this something that can change in a queen, that they start drone laying or are not laying as much as before. I am assuming she is the same queen I saw a month ago. Not sure if I am over-reacting or if there is something I can do.

Thanks so much for any advise!
    Best,
    Kelly

Default Re: Too Many Drones and min. brood, PICS- help pls

Move that bad comb to the outside edge and eventually replace it, or maybe even if it is all drone put it in the freezer overnight to kill off the drone brood. Watch the queen and replace her if she is laying too much drone brood. In your climate, I doubt that the hive can be honey bound if the hive has empty storage space.

I would say this hive is gone.

IMO you have no queen in this hive and bees laying eggs, or the queen is not fertilized (no drones on the mating flight) and started with no fertilized eggs.

If the hive is strong enough give them a new, laying queen, or combine it with one of your other colonies. What ever you like to do, you MUST get rid of the drone layers first. Brush all bees from the combs, far away from your hive. You can let the drone combs in the hive; bees will take care of them when they hatch.

I would think that drone layer brood would be more scattered. I think this is a sterile queen or one that really wants a lot of sons for some reason. I have seen an excellent queen climb up through six honey supers to find drone come and lay a patch like that.
    I think the "natural cell" devotees don't realize that all worker size cell foundation is one of the secrets of modern beekeeping. Some of my poor SC comb looks like this and the hives are also laden with a huge population of drones.

I have had the same thing happen to me this year. Great queen. Huge colony. And about a week ago, I find drone being laid in my upper super.

I wouldn't worry about it. From what I've been told, if the queen had enough room to lay drone brood below, she would not have been in my super.

Thank you all for the comments! It is very helpful to hear everyone's opinions.

Now should I wait then or requeen??

Thanks!

Best,
    Kelly

Excuse my new-guy ignorance, but are the drone cells the ones that are protruding out of the comb? I've seen these but not so many as your pic

yep, the capped drone brood looks like the ends of 22 bullets.
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

It looks to me like you have a bad queen. The queen they raised may not have mated well. I would requeen it.

Thanks for your help!