Thread: Wolf spiders

Default Wolf spiders

In the hive and the lid had 5 or so big wolf spiders in it. Hive tool did the trick but do they do anything to the hive or just like the hiding spot?

Default Re: Wolf spiders

The benefit they provide eating other bugs far outweighs the occasional bee they eat. You lose more bees against windshields than from spiders.

Bill
    “If you want to gather honey, don't kick over the beehive.” - Dale Carnegie

I thought wolf spiders lived in holes in the ground.
    De Colores,
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by USCBeeMan View Post
    I thought wolf spiders lived in holes in the ground.
    Some do, but not all. Caveat: I don't know what kind of spider it is; my comment was regarding spiders in general. I have several large ones living under my coves, too. I leave them alone. Love 'em. For a while I kept about a half dozen tarantulas. Almost as much fun as bees.

Bill
    “If you want to gather honey, don't kick over the beehive.” - Dale Carnegie

One of my colonies has a black jumping spider living in the corner. I leave it alone.
    "I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country." Nathan Hale, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by DRUR View Post
    One of my colonies has a black jumping spider living in the corner. I leave it alone.
    All of mine do. I do as you do.
    Chuck Norris once roundhouse kicked Hulk in the face. Now he hides in the forest and changed his name to Shrek

When I first got married in 1977, my wife and I dwelt in an upstairs apartment. There was a big wolf spider that built a very large web from the railing of the porch to the soffits. Every day I came home from work I would pet the wolf spider on its back and it got to where it would not run but just sit there. There was always a web full of sceeters and flys. That spider and me became best of buddies. Then one day my inlaws came and visited and my wife's father thumped my buddy away, somewhere downstairs I suppose. Noticed right off when I came home, and my wife's father fessed up about the assault. I lost a good buddy that day and my relationship with my wife's father has never been the same. From that day on he was always my wife's father and not my father-in-law.
    "I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country." Nathan Hale, 1776