Default honey bees at hummingbird feeder

Has anyone encountered honey bees raiding hummingbird feeders?

My mom has for years run about four hummingbird feeders. She told me recently she's had problem with yellow jackets in them in the mid after noon. I was at her place today and they weren't YJs but rather honey bees. Each feeder (two in the front yard and two in the back) had 20-30 bees in it constantly from noon till about four PM. There are wildflowers and garden flowers galore at her place and if the creek bordering the property isn't a good enough water source, the cattle troughs should be.
    We know there's a feral honey bee colony in an old (unused) farm building about 400 yards from the house.

How can she reclaim the feeders for her birds?
    Extra credit if I can end up with free bees in the process (sorry can't do a cut out of the feral colony...yet).
    For a moment the Goat pondered and then......BAP!
    With a swift head butt he resolved the issue.

Default Re: honey bees at hummingbird feeder

i noticed my bees in a pop can today. thay must be real hard up. last time mine hit the bird feeder it was because there was no nectar to be found.

Water isn't what they are looking for !

Let's see;
    We feed bees; Sugar Water.
    We feed hummingbirds; Sugar Water.

This time of year when the flows are slowing down or stopped, { just because you have a flower doesn't mean it has pollen or nector } the bees are going to use hummingbird Sugar Water.

They have been doing it since people started feeding hummingbirds, and it sure does pee off bird watching people who have a neighbor with a hive or two of bees.

PCM

Extra credit if I can end up with free bees in the process (sorry can't do a cut out of the feral colony...yet).
    Since you know where the feral colony is. I would leave them there and put out swarm traps every year and catch 1 or 2.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

Search for bee proof feeders. There are several made that seem to help reduce the problem of bees at hummingbird feeders.

There are feeders with bee guard, I use one, actually it's called Oriole [bird] feeder, but it works great for hummers.
    Some other feeders should work too if......
    the sugar water level is far below the hole, so bees can't suck it up with their long tong.
    I think most feeders have a vacuum, sometimes when the feeder shakes in wind or whatever, it get's disturbed and
    level is too high. Make sure the feeder has a bee guard.

This one has a ring over the hole...
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c9...G_6239_1_1.jpg

Konrad

Hummingbird feeders without a bee guard and filled with high fructose syrup will drive hungry bees bonkers. I found out the hard way. The hummingbirds loved it until the bees found it.

http://www.rohebeeranch.com/RoheBeeR...s/page0018.htm