Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Default Meeting Bee Nutritional Requirements

I need a good recommendation of a lab that can do a complete analysis of the contents in our trial formula # 11 which has been field tested and it shows some very good results.
    Comments are needed.
    Regards,
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

Default Re: Meeting Bee Nutritional Requirements

I have read that this is where Keith sends his.

http://www.silliker.com
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

Mind posting your recipe for formula # 11?

Derek,
    Thank you for the web site.
    I thought that I would include some bacon tid bits and drippings so that the bees have their cholesterol.
    I sent them an e-mail.
    Ernie
    Ernie

I need to get the material analyzed 1st
    As all of you know research and development is expensive and on-going.

I checked my Cordovan and Carniolan recent queen cellings and the queens are laying good egg patterns. How are your honey's doing?
    Ernie
    Ernie

I thought that I would include some bacon tid bits and drippings so that the bees have their cholesterol.

Who needs microbes when you have bacon drippings?
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

Big Grin Re: Meeting Bee Nutritional Requirements

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Beekman View Post
    Chef would be proud.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Well he is a teacher now. That could be one of his students.

The following information is very valuable.

It's a wise person that can take data applied in one area/application and transfer/apply it to another/new area like honeybees!

http://www.merricks.com/intestinal.htm#management

Ingredients/Supplements

Many ingredients and products are now available that demonstrate beneficial effects in the calf's digestive tract. The following list provides a brief description of several of the more common ingredients or supplements fed to calves to enhance or complement digestive and absorptive functions.

Direct-Fed Microbials (DFMs). DFMs are beneficial organisms that colonize in the digestive tract, produce organic acids and other beneficial compounds and compete against pathogens. A wide variety of organisms are used as DFMs. The primary DFMs used to colonize the small intestine are lactic acid bacteria (LAB). They are very rapid colonizers in the small intestine and compete very effectively against pathogens such as E coli. LAB have also been shown to enhance the production of protective mucin in the small intestine.

Fructooligosaccharides (FOS). FOS are naturally occurring plant sugars that provide a source of nutrients for beneficial bacteria in the large intestine such as Bifidobacteria. FOS have been shown to increase volatile fatty acid (VFA) production in the large intestine and improve calcium and magnesium absorption. FOS cannot be digested by the animal or by pathogenic bacteria.

Mannan oligosaccharides (MOS). Mannan oligosaccharides contain yeast cell wall fragments. These fragments contain mannans which competitively bind gram negative bacteria, preventing their attachment to the intestinal mucosa. Since mannans are not digestible in the intestine, the bound pathogen likely passes through the digestive tract. MOS may also stimulate antibody production and enhance intestinal structure and function.

Plant extracts/spices. This group of feed ingredients includes allicin (garlic extract) and a variety of spices. These ingredients vary in their modes of action but proposed activities include stimulation of digestive enzymes, antimicrobial activity, immune stimulation, improved VFA production and feed intake enhancement.

Animal Plasma. Animal plasma is obtained by centrifuging whole blood into its major components, plasma and blood cells. The two main types of animal plasma are bovine (ruminant) and porcine (swine). These products provide a source of both protein and immunoglobulins, primarily IgG and are usually added to milk or milk replacer. In the digestive tract, IgG has a direct affect on pathogens and may also have a direct effect on the intestinal mucosa.

Glutamine/Glutamate are amino acids that have been shown to improve villi height and overall intestinal morphology during periods of stress and following injury. Both glutamine and glutamate provide a local fuel source for enterocytes, the absorptive cells of intestinal villi.
    References and Reviews

1. Austgen, L; Bowen, R.A; Rouge, M. Pathophysiology of the digestive system. Colorado State University. 2001. http:/arbl.cvmbs.colostate.edu/hbooks.

2. Ayabe, T., D.P. Satchell, C.L.Wilson, etc. Secretion of microbicidal alpha-defensins by intestinal Paneth cells in response to bacteria. Nature Immunol 1: 113-118, 2000.

3. Fisher, E.W.; McEwan, A.D. Death in neonatal calf diarrhoea. Pt. II: The role of oxygen and potassium. Br. Vet. J. 123:4-7, 1967.

4. Hecht, G. Innate mechanisms of epithelial host defense: spotlight on intestine. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 227:C351-C358, 1999

5. Heinrichs, A.J., C.M. Jones, B.S. Heinrichs: Effects of mannan ologosaccharides or antibiotics in neonatal diets on health and growth of dairy calves. J Dairy Sci 86:4064-4069, 2003

6. Karam, S. Lineage commitment and maturation of epithelial cells in the gut. Frontiers in Bioscience 4:d286-298, 1999.

7. Lillard, J.R., P.N. Boyaka, O. Chertov, etc. Mechanisms for induction of acquired host immunity by neutrophil peptide defensins. Proc Natl Acad Sci 96:651-656,1999.

8. Stappenbeck, T.S., L.V. Hooper, J.I. Gordon: Developmental regulation of intestinal angiogenesis by indigenous microbes via paneth cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci Nov. 2002

9. Naylor, J.M: A retrospective study of the relationship between clinical signs and severity of acidosis in diarrheic calves. Can. Vet. J., 1989; 30:577-580.

10. Naylor, J.M: Severity and nature of acidosis in diarrheic calves over and under one week of age. Can. Vet. J., 1987; 28:168-173.

11. Tarver, A.P., D.P. Clark, G. Diamond, etc: Enteric beta-defensin: molecular cloning and characterization of a gene with inducible intestinal epithelial cell expression associated with cryptosporidium parvum infection. Infection and Immunity 66:1045-1056, 1998.

12. Tyler, Howard: Personal communication. Iowa State University, Ames Iowa.

I was using boluses from a local dairy, Ador Farms, to give to a calf with scours back in the late 60's to inocculate the calf digestive sytem when it had scours.
    Now you know where I am doing my research!
    Ernie
    Last edited by BEES4U; 08-16-2009 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Added references and reviews,
    Ernie

Re: Meeting Bee Nutritional Requirements

Tuesday, August 18, 2009
    This has some potential for bees. ( it contains the LABs)

Probiotic V, is the only fully live, stabilized microbial system available in the marketplace. Micro blended in a unique formula with live cell yeast culture for enzyme activity. Live microbials often aid in appetites, digestion of fiber nutrients (alfalfa, grains) gut integrity - factors that often lessen the occurence of colic and/or pathogenic coliform activity. Contains 10x the level of live microbial system as many competitive products.

Probiotic V contains a concentrated microbial system, consisting of live, stablized lactic acid producing bacteria. Probiotic V contains four (6) strains of live stabilized lactic acid producing bacteria (probiotics), plus live cell yeast culture, used as a microbial supplement.
    Note: Probiotic V can be used in conjunction with other supplements containing moderate or low levels of live microbials (Mega -Mag, Biotin 22X, etc.) as several billion beneficial bacteria are needed to be active in small intestines daily to establish and/or maintain gut integrity during training, performance and stress conditions.

Comment?
    Ernie
    Ernie

Re: Meeting Bee Nutritional Requirements

Here's another product:
    MRM
    WHEY
    18 g Protein/ Serving
    TYPICAL AMINO ACID PROFILE PER 25.5 g SCOOP
    NAME mg/scoop
    ALANINE 800
    ARGININE 400
    ASPARTIC ACID 1910
    CYSTEINE 220
    GLUTAMIC ACID 3000
    L-GLUTAMINE 1000
    GLYCINE 400
    HISTIDINE 250
    ISOLEUCINE 1110
    LEUCINE 1630
    LYSINE 1540
    METHIONINE 330
    PHENYLALANINE 530
    PROLINE 1070
    SERINE 910
    THREONINE 1040
    TRYPTOPHAN 380
    TYROSINE 440
    VALINE 1040
    Arginine 5.3
    Histidine 2.5
    Isoleucine 5.1
    Leucine 7.1
    Lysine 6.4
    Methionine 1.9
    Phenyalalamine 4.1
    Threomine 4.1
    Trypotophane 1.4
    Valine 5.8
    ____________________________________-

Comments,
    Ernie
    Ernie

Still working on the pollen patties.
    I located a source for the vitamines and some other goodies.
    Now, I am working on a source for pure soy isolate, 94% protein!
    Ernie
    Ernie

http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/bro...ate-44-LB.HTML

Not sure if it is a good price or not.

Not sure if it is a good price or not.
    Very good prices compared to a health foods store!
    Ernie
    Ernie

Requirements for brood rearing:

Don't forget the Inositol. EI.

Tom, thanks for the reminder about inositol
    The following is from a web site selling pollen.

Vitamins

Provitamin A
    B-1 Thiamine
    B-2 Riboflavin
    B-3 Niacin
    B-6 Pyridoxine
    Panthothenic acid
    Biotin
    B-12 (cyanocobalamin)
    Folic acid
    Choline
    Inositol
    Vitamin C
    Vitamin D
    Vitamin E
    Vitamin K
    Rutin

Minerals

Calcium
    Phosphorus
    Potassium
    Sulfur
    Sodium
    Chlorine
    Magnesium
    Iron
    Manganese
    Copper
    Iodine
    Zinc
    Silicon
    Molybedenum
    Boron
    Titanium

Enzymes Proteins - Amino Acids
    Amylase
    Diatase
    Saccharase
    Pectase
    Phosphatase
    Catalase
    Disphorase
    Cozymase
    Cytochrome systems
    Lactic dehyrogenase
    Succinic dehydrogenase
    24-Oxidoreductases
    21-Transferases
    11-Lyases
    5-Isomerases
    Pepsin
    Trypsin
    Isoleucine
    Leucine
    Lysine
    Methionine
    Phenylalanine
    Threonine
    Tryptophan
    Valine
    Histidine
    Arginine
    Cystine
    Tyrosine
    Alanine
    Aspartic Acid
    Glutamic acid
    Hydroxyproline
    Proline
    Serine

Others
    Nucleic acids
    Flavonoids
    Phenolic acid
    Tarpenes
    Nucleosides
    Auxins
    Fructose
    Glucose
    Brassins
    Gibberellins
    Kinins
    Vernine
    Guanine
    Xanthine
    Hypoxalthine
    Nuclein
    Amines
    Lecithin
    Xanthophylls
    Crocetin
    Zeaxanthin
    Lycopene
    Hexodecanal
    Alpha-amino-butyric acid
    Monoglycerides
    Diglycerides
    Triglycerides
    Pentosans

Regards,
    Ernie
    Ernie

here is a good example of PROBIOTICS

Probiotics by Bio-Alternatives

This product is vegetarian and free of citrus, corn, dairy, egg, gluten, sodium, soy, wheat, yeast, added sugars, synthetic dye, artificial flavorings and preservatives.

SUPPLEMENT FACTS:

Serving Size - 1 Capsule
    Servings per Container - 120
    Each capsule delivers 5 billion CFU Probiotic Bacteria Complex containing:

Lactobacillus acidophilus 1.25 billion
    Lactobacillus rhamnosus 1 billion
    Bifidobacterium Lactis 750 million
    Lactobacillus casei 500 million
    Bifidobacterium breve 500 million
    Bifidobacterium longum 500 million
    Bifidobacterium bifidum 250 million
    Streptococcus thermophilus 250 million
    Fructo oligosaccharides (FOS) 220 mg
    Other Ingredients: rice flour, vegetable cellulose (capsule)
    SUGGESTED USE:

INITIAL: Child 1 capsule, Adult 2 capsules, Senior 3 capsules after breakfast and dinner until results occur.
    MAINTENANCE: Child 1 capsule, Adult 2 capsules, Senior 3 capsules after breakfast.
    Regards,
    Ernie
    Ernie

Here's one source of IPS (Inositol Hexophosphate) >400 mg

Iso-Rich Soy, Vegetarian Soy Protein Powder, 892 g, Jarrow Formulas

Use Iso-Rich Soy Powder as a dietary supplement to increase your intake of protein and soy phytonutrients.

Supplemental Facts
    Serving Size 2 rounded Tbsp. (29 g)
    Servings Per Container 31
    Amount Per Serving % DV
    Calories 110
    Calories from Fat 5
    Total Fat <1 g 1%
    Saturated Fat 0 g 0%
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
    Sodium 370 mg 15%
    Total Carbohydrates 0 g 0%
    Dietary Fiber 0 g 0%
    Sugars 0 g 0%
    Protein 25 g
    Vitamin A 0 IU 0%
    Vitamin C 0 mg 0%
    Calcium 29 mg 4%
    Iron 4 mg 25%
    Isoflavones 56 mg
    Genistin/Genistein 28 mg
    Daidzin/Daidein 23 mg
    Glycitin/Glycitein 5 mg
    IPS (Inositol Hexophosphate) >400 mg
    Saponins >200 mg

Ingredients: Soy protein isolate (Non-GMO) and natural vanilla flavor.
    100% natural, No corn, yeast, wheat, dairy products, preservatives, artificial flavors, sweeteners or colors have been added.

Suitable for vegans. This product is packaged by weight not by volume. May contain traces of peanuts/nuts.

Suggested Use:
    Mix 2 rounded tablespoons (29 g) of powder with 6-8 oz. fruit juice, milk, or your favorite beverage or you may:
    Blend powder with liquid, ice and fruit for smoothies.
    Mix into cold or cooked cereals.
    Add to soups, sauces, casseroles, meatballs, patties, baked items (bread, muffins, etc.) or frozen desserts.

This product contains naturally occuring phytoestrogens. Do not take more than 2 servings per day. Do not give to children under 12 years old.

Notice: Individual results may vary. You should always consult with your physician before starting this product or any health-related program.
    Disclaimer: The product descriptions and the statements on this page are from manufacturers and/or distributors and have not been evaluated by VitaSprings or the FDA. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. VitaSprings does not imply any medical claims from the customer reviews on this Iso-Rich Soy, Vegetarian Soy Protein Powder product on this website.

Regards,
    Ernie
    Ernie

Inositol has a big spectrum of use in humans, now what about bees/

PURE INOSITOL POWDER.

BIO-ALTERNATIVES is pleased to offer PURE INOSITOL POWDER. Inositol is a member of the B vitamin family. It is utilized in fat metabolism, helping the liver to eliminate excess fat, reducing cholesterol levels, helps prevent hardening of the arteries, and may protect nerve fibers from excess glucose damage. Diabetics are prone to over excrete this substance and supplemental intake has been found beneficial for the prevention of neuropathy. Inositol has a natural calming effect and may be used in the treatment of anxiety, depression, and obsessive-compulsive disorder without the side effects of prescription medications.
    Inositol has been listed(1) as an essential element in the nutritional treatment of Alcoholism, Cirrhosis of the Liver, & Diabetes. Very Important for Glaucoma, Hair Loss, Hepatitis, Multiple Sclerosis, & Raynaud's Disease. Important in Depression, Gallbladder Disorders, Hemorrhoids, Pancreatitis, Vertigo, & Helpful for Circulatory Problems, High Blood Pressure (Hypertension), Insomnia, Obesity, & Premenstrual Syndrome.

Regards,
    Ernie
    Ernie

Here is a research report that is very interestig, and it's applied to bees!

Brood Rearing by Caged Honey Bees in Response to Inositol

IngentaConnect Brood Rearing by Caged Honey Bees in Response to Inositol and Cer...
    Abstract:

Caged colonies of honey bees, Apis mellifera L., were unable to rear brood beyond a larval age of 3-4 days when fed an artificial diet containing proteins, carbohydrates, lipids, vitamins, and minerals. However, a final concentration of 4.5 mg inositol, a vitamin, in each gram of the artificial food, enabled bees to rear normal brood through the adult stage during a test period of 72 days. Furthermore, addition of 3.5 milligrams of pollen ash per gram of artificial diet also enabled bees to rear all stages of brood during a test period of 44 days. Additions of both pollen ash and inositol to the artificial diet gave no better results than either alone.

Bees could rear all stages of brood when a concentrated aqueous extract of crushed pollen grains was mixed with the artificial diet. The concentrate could be prepared either by lyophilization or drying at 100C in a laboratory oven. No further characterization of the active component(s) in the concentrate has been made. A completely liquid formulation failed to sustain brood rearing. Incorporation of several sterols in addition to cholesterol in artificial diet also failed to sustain brood rearing.
    Document Type: Research article

Regards,
    Ernie
    Last edited by BEES4U; 08-22-2009 at 09:23 AM. Reason: spelling
    Ernie

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast