Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Interstate Hauling of equipment

My wife was driving her F45016 ft flatbed, pulling a skidsteer and trailer,(from Texas to ND). In Iowa, she was stopped by DOT and given a ticket for not having an interstate license license to haul equipment. When we started doing this several years ago, I was told in Texas and North Dakota that if our gross weight was under 25,000 pounds, all we needed were regular licenses.

The officer told my wife that just using her truck without a trailer, she needed the interstate license even though it was not for hire. Anyone have any info on this? Where do I get one? Are these plates?

Default Re: Interstate Hauling of equipment

It sounds to me that they are talking about either your DOT number (do you have a DOT number) or a CDL. Those are the only two things I know of where you have to claim either interstate or intrastate.

Any single vehicle registered over 10,000lbs is required to have a DOT number. Any motor vehicle that is pulling a trailer with the capacity over 10,000 lbs requires a class A CDL regardless of total combination weight capacity. You can find that in the federal regulations. Most truck stops sell miniature books about the rules.

F450 falls into the category of requiring a DOT number as they are rated at 15 - 16,000 lbs. most dual axle skid steer trailers are rated for 10,000 or more.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...?310912-MAP-21

if your state has agricultural plates see thread.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

they have been cracking down very hard in pa here in the last few months here anything over 17000 gvw needs to have dot numbers we have been pulled over in our chevy 4500 truck 4 or 5 times in past never had any problems with dot last week we were followed from the place we were eating lunch by 2 state troopers and told we need saftey triangles or cones fire extinguisher dot number bussines name on truck i need a medical card to drive it
    Last edited by JohnK and Sheri; 05-23-2015 at 10:29 AM. Reason: language

Quote Originally Posted by johnbeejohn View Post
    they have been cracking down very hard in pa here in the last few months here anything over 17000 gvw needs to have dot numbers we have been pulled over in our chevy 4500 truck 4 or 5 times in past never had any problems with dot last week we were followed from the place we were eating lunch by 2 state troopers and told we need saftey triangles or cones fire extinguisher dot number bussines name on truck i need a medical card to drive it
    Beekeepers are exempt from medical cards, and as far as I know only applies to those with CDLs. The troopers forget to tell you, that you also need spare fuses in the truck along with triangles. Sounds to me like those troopers are trying to be DOT guys but really lack the formal training in DOT.

I would fight in court any ticket I get regarding DOT regs from a non DOT certified officer.
    Last edited by JohnK and Sheri; 05-23-2015 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BMAC View Post
    I would fight in court any ticket I get regarding DOT regs from a non DOT certified officer.
    wouldn't it just be easier to put agricultural plates on and be exempt from all the bull?
    mike syracuse ny

I have ag plates on my 5500 and I am not exempt from DOT number or CDL or carrying the required safety equipment aboard.

The Farm plates in NY exempt you from that stuff but you are limited on where and what you can do with the truck. Ag plates let me drive anywhere in the country.

I'm not sure how it is around the country, but in Oregon, the Oregon Department of Transportation sets up a meeting with you shortly after you get your DOT number.
    They go over every detail of what you have as far as truck and trailer, the weights, intrastate or interstate, equipment, licensing, EVERYTHING.
    It is very helpful. And it does away with most of the guesswork.
    Well,,,,,until you go to California that is......
    Just say NO to excuse-izm!
    If my bees die, I am responsible.

bmac in ny we have a ram 3500 and freightliner f70. we go to sc every winter. we can use either truck with our agr plate. no state sales tax needs to be paid to register the truck or trailer. they give you an additional 10,000 lbs for a trailer. that gives you a gross of 36,000 lbs as long as the vehicles are certified for that amount. all this info was received from a nys dot guy at empire farm days. there is a lot of false info out there and many enforcement people are not familiar with agr plates. all of the above is done with a nys class D lic. been doing this since the 70's.

That is pretty interesting and conflicting as there was a NYS DOT guy at once of the ESHPA fall meetings who was NOT saying the same stuff you are stating. Mostly I think it boils down to the guy who pulls you over on the side of the road, and how they interpret the law.

they told me about cones or triangles never said anything about fuses these were dot troopers they said they were like 2 of 5 for our area and i told them i diddnt need a cdl to drive truck they said i need a med card any way

if you have agricultural plates this is the best write up I have seen.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/sites/fmcsa...ommodities.pdf

Section 32934 of MAP–21 created a new set of exemptions for ‘‘covered farm vehicles’’ (CFVs) and their drivers. The definition of a CFV is discussed in the
    Background section below. Briefly, CFVs and their drivers are exempt from the commercial driver’s license (CDL) and drug and alcohol testing
    regulations; the medical qualification requirements; the hours of service limits; and vehicle inspection, repair and maintenance rules. Vehicles transporting placardable quantities of
    hazardous materials are not eligible for these exemptions. The States will have to adopt these exemptions into their own laws and regulations within 3 years
    in order to avoid the withholding of certain Federal grant funds

A driver who is not required to hold a CDL as a result of 383.3(d)(1) is also exempt from the FMCSA drug and alcohol testing regulations [see 49 CFR
    382.103(a)(1)].

Section 391.2(b) exempts from the rules in Part 391 the driver of a CMV controlled and operated by a beekeeper engaged in the seasonal transportationof bees. The exemption does not apply to a beekeeper’s transportation of honey.

A ‘‘covered farm vehicle’’ (CFV), as defined in Sec. 32934, is a straight truck or articulated vehicle (e.g., a large pickup, a truck pulling a trailer,sometimes a standard tractor semitrailer combination) registered in a State that is used by the owner or operator of a farm or ranch (or an employee or family member of a farm or ranch owner or
    operator) to transport agricultural commodities, livestock, machinery or supplies, provided the truck has a license plate or other designation issued by the State of registration that allows law enforcement personnel to identify it as a farm vehicle. Although a CFV may not be used in for-hire motor carrier operations, a share-cropper’s use of a
    vehicle to transport the landlord’s share of the crops may not be treated as a forhire operation. If the CFV has a gross vehicle weight (GVW) or gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), whichever is greater, of 26,001 pounds or less, it may take advantage of the CFV exemption described below while operating anywhere in the United States. A CFV with a GVW or GVWR, whichever is greater, above 26,001 pounds, may travel anywhere in the State of registration or across State borders within 150 air miles of the home farm
    or ranch—but the vehicle would lose its status as a CFV and the corresponding exemptions if it exceeded these geographical limits.

390.5 Definitions. Covered farm vehicle—
    (1) Means a straight truck or articulated vehicle— (i) Registered in a State with a license plate or other designation issued by the State of registration that allows law
    enforcement officials to identify it as a farm vehicle; (ii) Operated by the owner or operator of a farm or ranch, or an employee or family member of a an owner or
    operator of a farm or ranch; (iii) Used to transport agricultural commodities, livestock, machinery or supplies to or from a farm or ranch; and
    (iv) Not used in for-hire motor carrier operations; however, for-hire motor carrier operations do not include the operation of a vehicle meeting the
    requirements of paragraphs (1)(i) through (iii) of this definition by a tenant pursuant to a crop share farm lease agreement to transport the
    landlord’s portion of the crops under that agreement.
    (2) Meeting the requirements of paragraphs (1)(i) through (iv) of this definition:
    (i) With a gross vehicle weight or gross vehicle weight rating, whichever is greater, of 26,001 pounds or less may utilize the exemptions in 390.39
    anywhere in the United States; or (ii) With a gross vehicle weight or gross vehicle weight rating, whichever is greater, of more than 26,001 pounds
    may utilize the exemptions in 390.39 anywhere in the State of registration or across State lines within 150 air miles of the farm or ranch with respect to
    which the vehicle is being operated.
    ■ 7. Add new 390.39 to subpart B to read as follows:
    390.39 Exemptions for ‘‘covered farm vehicles.’’ (a) Federal requirements. A covered farm vehicle, as defined in 390.5, including the individual operating that
    vehicle, is exempt from the following:
    (1) Any requirement relating to commercial driver’s licenses in 49 CFR Part 383 or controlled substances and
    alcohol use and testing in 49 CFR Part 382;
    (2) Any requirement in 49 CFR Part 391, Subpart E, Physical Qualifications
    and Examinations.
    (3) Any requirement in 49 CFR Part 395, Hours of Service of Drivers.
    (4) Any requirement in 49 CFR Part 396, Inspection, Repair, and Maintenance.

good luck

so both bmac and beware10's dot persons could be correct, but don't go out of NY state with that extra 10,000 lbs as I suspect he was talking intrastate which the state has control over not interstate which the fed's have control over.
    mike syracuse ny

I wonder if colorado will write into their law something similar and only limit the driver to 1 ounce of marijuana while operating the CFV.

I google'd GVWR, and it says that is only the weight of the truck, and its cargo.... blah blah blah. It specifically says, trailer and trailer cargo NOT included...

Does that sound right?

If that is the case, then almost anything can be a CFV, right? And it does not list anything about a trailer or its weight in the map 21, section 390; other then a pickup could be pulling a trailer.

I read section 390, as long as the motor unit is less then 26,000#, then you can go anywhere and be a CFV. Would this be correct, with the understanding that the GVWR is not counting the trailer?

Take all of my statements above as questions... not statements or fact.
    Ben
    Hungry Bear Farms, www.HungryBearFarms.com Beekeeping Supplies and More...!

gross means total. that includes everything when on a scale. they don't know what a trailer would weigh. when a tractor trailer drives on a scale 80.000 lbs is the basic limit. they don't care at all what your equip weighs. just total.

Steer clear of iowa if you can!!!!

I agree. IOWA is one miserable DOT state. Been thru there once with my F450 and holy cow. One 4 hour dealing with DOT in that state and i broke out the maps and took the back roads thru it to avoid those folks.

in pa if u have a trailor hooked to truck it counts as its total weight anything over 17500 combined weight u need it

Quote Originally Posted by HarryVanderpool View Post
    I'm not sure how it is around the country, but in Oregon, the Oregon Department of Transportation sets up a meeting with you shortly after you get your DOT number.
    They go over every detail of what you have as far as truck and trailer, the weights, intrastate or interstate, equipment, licensing, EVERYTHING.
    It is very helpful. And it does away with most of the guesswork.
    Well,,,,,until you go to California that is......
    Seems like a good idea to me. Also seems like when one registers a new heavy truck that the DMV would have a handbook of regs available for those who don't know what's required of them.

Years ago I got stopped by NYS DOT because I didn't have a DOT Number. Soon after getting the DOT Number I was stopped for not having the business name displayed. Both were warnings. I told Officer Snow that I didn't mind visiting with him, but was there something else I should do so you don't pull me over again the next time I drive by?
    Let America Be America Again http://www.mindfully.org/Reform/Hugh...-Again1938.htm
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by BMAC View Post
    That is pretty interesting and conflicting as there was a NYS DOT guy at once of the ESHPA fall meetings who was NOT saying the same stuff you are stating. Mostly I think it boils down to the guy who pulls you over on the side of the road, and how they interpret the law.
    And who they check with to verify what you assert. They all have computers now days.
    Let America Be America Again http://www.mindfully.org/Reform/Hugh...-Again1938.htm
    Mark Berninghausen

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast