Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Default sqkcrk goes south for Winter 2015-16

Because I was asked to, I am starting a new Thread on going south for the 2015-2016 Winter.

As I relearned at the eshpa Summer Picnic, "Winter starts in August". The bees that are ready to Winter in August are the ones most likely to survive the Winter. Those that aren't, you'd better take extra good care of.

During the last couple of days I have started gathering my hives to load on the semi Nov. 10th, I hope. I have to get the bees south, to South Carolina, unload them and spread them out into three or four yards, and then unload another beekeepers semi load. I won't have time to go through them this trip. I have to get back to NY by the evening of the 18th to attend a couple of meeting, the Apiary Industry Advisory Committee Meeting, Nov. 19th, the ESHPA Board Meeting that evening, and then the ESHPA Fall Meeting on Friday and Saturday, Nov. 20 and 21 in East Syracuse, NY. Details at eshpa.org.

I have about 500 hives to transport south. So I will get most of them on the semi and whatever I can get on my F-450. The rest will go south the next trip, some time after Thanksgiving.
    Just because something is new to you, doesn't mean it is new, or revolutionary. Mark Berninghausen

Default Re: sqkcrk goes south for Winter 2015-16

Sounds like your a busy fella! Following...
    Follow our videos and photos below. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tenne...35936049943850

Good timing. I was just notified that my county (berkeley) is going to do emergency aerial spraying for mosquitos. This is because of water from our 1000 year flood spraying times 430pm to 7pm. I guess I need to invest in some tarps. Daytime Temps are still in mid 80s. This could be bad, hopefully not.

Do they spray during the day? Seems like that would be when bees would be the most exposed to aerial mosquito spraying.
    Just because something is new to you, doesn't mean it is new, or revolutionary. Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Do they spray during the day? Seems like that would be when bees would be the most exposed to aerial mosquito spraying.
    Yes, the hours posted by Bkwoodsbees (4:30pm to 7pm) are correct.
    Click this link for the article. But don't worry, they have a plan to protect the bees.

To prevent bee and cricket loss, beekeepers and cricket farmers are advised to cover their hives during the applications to their area. Beekeepers, cricket farmers and farmers of other beneficial insects are asked to contact the Mosquito Abatement Office at 843-719-4646 with their contact information, so the Mosquito Abatement Office can notify the beekeepers and cricket farmers by phone prior to the aerial applications.

http://www.wtma.com/news/berkeley-co...batement-plan/
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Welcome back.

Look forward to following your experiences in this adventure!
    "Sometimes the best action is no action at all."
    Started 2011, 3-10 frame hives; 2016, 32-8 frame hives, 1 nuc

Mark, I sent a batch down already. Have another bunch going within a week.

Trying to get extra equipment built and stock piled for the spring. I am hoping maybe I can make a bunch of boxes for myself here shortly. Made a bunch already but will need many many more.

I will be going south at some point after ESHPA's meeting, taking one of the trucks down and leaving it there for the winter, and Kim will be down there the week before ESHPA's meeting checking on things.
    Ben
    Hungry Bear Farms, www.HungryBearFarms.com Beekeeping Supplies and More...!

Now you started something you might not be able to stop. lol

Mark I heard from someone today that aerial spraying is going to be state wide. This will continue until weather gets cold. You might want to check with the county you will keep your bees in. Every county should have a mosquito abatement office. The mosquito is our state bird.

As always, I wish you a safe trip, and the best of luck Mark. One of these days I'm going to get down there to check out Yours and Herbs operations. Godspeed. G
    The Bees are the Beekeepers

Quote Originally Posted by Bkwoodsbees View Post
    Mark I heard from someone today that aerial spraying is going to be state wide. This will continue until weather gets cold. You might want to check with the county you will keep your bees in. Every county should have a mosquito abatement office. The mosquito is our state bird.
    Thanks, Bk. I have been contacted by Horry County in the past, but I always have had my bees out of the State by the time they want to spray. I know a guy. I'll talk to the Control Officer.

Thanks, G. Come down when you can. Bring your suit.

As I relearned at the eshpa Summer Picnic, "Winter starts in August". The bees that are ready to Winter in August are the ones most likely to survive the Winter. Those that aren't, you'd better take extra good care of.
    So true
    Adam - Zone 5A
    www.adamshoney.com

I have to get the bees south, to South Carolina, unload them and spread them out into three or four yards, and then unload another beekeepers semi load.

I have about 500 hives to transport south.
    Is it difficult to find yards to hold 100+ hives?
    Adam - Zone 5A
    www.adamshoney.com

Quote Originally Posted by zhiv9 View Post
    Not if you stack them 100 high.

Quote Originally Posted by zhiv9 View Post
    No, not really. Any yard I can locate I can put 25 or more pallets in.

Talked to my friend Ken Stone today. He is in SC. He isn't worried much about the mosquito spraying, even though he says there are a lot more of them and seems as though there are three different sizes of them. He says the spraying goes on at dusk and if the County know where they are they try to avoid them. The State Apiary Inspector does have all of our yards located by GPS.

Ken also said that it isn't all that wet, even with all of the flooding that occurred. Before the flooding farmers were looking to get crop relief because of the drought conditions. And since the flooding they were eligible for flood relief too. That's a hoot. Crop relief from both drought and flood in the same season.

Got the last of the hives gathered into the Home Yd today. Will fill the semi and have 8 pallets of hives to carry on my own truck. Got the last of the honey and supers back from my extractor today too. Made 311 more buckets of honey this year over last year.

Nice work. Long day, time for a cold one now. G
    The Bees are the Beekeepers

Made 311 more buckets of honey this year over last year.
    good for you sqkcrk. great news!

. Made 311 more buckets of honey this year over last year.
    Gee..... you even made honey in the Blueberries! Living right...... I guess.
    "In our Country... one class of men makes war and leaves another to fight it out." - W.T.S.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast