Default Transporting a Hot Smoker

I have moved a couple of hives to an out yard. I do not have truck so I have to transport everything between the yard and my house IN a vehicle. How do you guys and gals that have an out yard and no truck transport a hot smoker from one place to the next in a vehicle?

I have seen a previous thread that suggested ammo boxes. If you use one of these what size do you use and do they seal enough to keep the smoke out of the vehicle?

Default Re: Transporting a Hot Smoker

I have one of these that I bought from betterbee who no longer seems to have them...

https://www.kelleybees.com/Shop/11/S...040/Smoker-Box
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 41y 200h 38yTF

Metal army surplus ammo box, lid seals air tight.
    size is approx. 17.5" Length X 5.75 " with.
    (40mm linked)
    I would always put the lid on when I started and would have to pry the side out a bit to break the vacuum.

Now I put the hickory stick in the smoker output hole and put the smoker in the box. The lid slides around in the back of the ford expedition.
    Last edited by Ski; 06-21-2016 at 03:08 PM.
    Just some thoughts.

Potato Chip Tins, Or popcorn tins. The make one that is not the big 4 gallon thing, but about 2.5 gallon or so. a smokers fits in it well, They are easy to get, I get a few for Christmas with 4 flavors of popcorn in them. Even If you bought them full they are not cost prohibitive and will seal off a smoker very good.

I use a 6-gallon galvanized ash bucket with a lid. The big box hardware store has them for $16 in the barbecue dept. in the summer, and in the fireplace dept. in the winter.
    Last edited by Westhill; 06-21-2016 at 03:13 PM. Reason: More info

I have one of those smoker boxes too but if I had to start now I'd grab one of those hardware store ash tins that seem to seal up tight.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

first ... I do drive a truck, so I most always carry the smoker in the back.
    I started with a _metal_ 5 gallon bucket with a lid. I most always wad up a twist of paper towel to stop up the snout, which also puts out the fire.
    ( I also started with a round wooden plug for the snout, but lost it ... no time to whittle another!)
    I now use an ammo can, I had a couple of the larger ones that my "large" smoker fit in, so I use it. I flip the lid off to set the smoker on, so it doesn't melt the plastic bed liner in my truck.
    Started summer of 2013, just another new guy, tinkering with bees.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to look into the ash bins as they look to be the most economical. I do not get any popcorn tins or I would go that way.

Thanks for the tip on "ash tins". I never looked at them before. Much cheaper than the smoker box.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 41y 200h 38yTF

one note on transporting a hot smoker and plastic bed liners, the insurance adjuster just declared my friends pickup totaled due to a hot smoker and a plastic bed liner not playing well together.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

I really like the Military, "Fat Fifty" ammo can for transporting between yards. At military surplus stores it cost about $12.00. On line they sell from $12.00 to $25.00. I use a Chevy Tahoe, and the ammo can is air tight, meaning you get no odor from your smoker, and the smoker will go out in about 2 minutes.

cchoganjr.

Apparently they have gone up. There are lots of them for sale on EBay, but the cheapest one I found was $15.95, and they go up to $39.95 each. Just put in the search engine for EBay, Military ammo can fat fifty, and the listings will come up.

The writings on the cans, some will say 5.56mm linked, others will say 40mm. The normal .50 cal can will not work, it is too narrow. It has to be the fat fifty.

cchoganjr

metal ash buckets at wal fart

I plug the end with a tight fitting stick and stick in corner of truck. No problems and always have to remember light it at next yard.

The smoker box reminds me of the old insulated milk box people had out on there porch , not that I personally remember those days !!