Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Reminder All natural weed killer (say no to Round-Up)

I just remembered a formula for all natural weed killer, no harmful chemicals whatsoever - just two ingredients, and it is non-toxic.

Take one part of white vinegar and mix it with one part of table salt. I don't think it matters but when I used this, I used salt with iodine in it.

Mix together and put it in a spray bottle or a tank sprayer and use it on pesky weeds. If the dogs or kids (or bees) get in it, it won't hurt them at all.

I'm mowing around my hives without a hitch, but for those weeds that grow against the hive stand, I'm going to use the vinegar/salt mixture.

I used this once before and it worked like a charm. It takes a few days to kick in, it doesn't work as fast as chemical weed killers like Round-Up, but it works. I use it around my plants and in my plant beds and the only thing its killed was the weeds.

Just thought I would share!

Mark
    "When you see a honey bee in your yard, thank a beekeeper!"

Default Re: All natural weed killer (say no to Round-Up)

That's what I use. 9% vinegar. Never added the salt though.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

Question Re: All natural weed killer (say no to Round-Up)

Derek, where do you find 9% vinegar? I've only seen 5% in the stores around here.
    KI6FCI

All the grocery stores here carry the 5 & 9%. They also make a 20% but it has been recommended by to many popular organic programs and the price of it has skyrocketed. Some organic programs have backed off the 20% and now recommend the 10%. We were talking about the vinegar here a while back and MapMan recommended some stuff that you can get at a camera store. Let me find that link.

Here it is.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...hlight=vinegar
    Last edited by Hambone; 08-11-2009 at 02:47 PM. Reason: added link
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

I've used straight white vinagar on a hot day and within an hour the weed is DEAD!

Adding salt to your soil isnt really good for the soil,
    I would say roundup would do less harm to your soil health than that of your treatment.
    Dont forget about everything else that lives in your soil,
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

As a 40 year organic gardener and one-time organic farmer, I'd also say ditch the salt and just use the vinegar if necessary.

Glyophosphate has been shown to be extremely lethal to amphibians. Liver damage in rats were also seen after brief exposure. If you don't care a hoot about frogs, rodents, etc, perhaps if you have pregnant women around, I'd also say ditch the Roundup, or at least look at some of the recent research showing high levels of premature births and miscarriages observed among female farmers in Ontario using glyphosate/Roundup. An Exploratory Analysis of the Effect of Pesticide Exposure on the Risk of Spontaneous Abortion in an Ontario Farm Population. Studies show that "after only eighteen hours of exposure at low concentrations, large proportions of human placenta began to die." (Gilles-Eric Seralini from the University of Caen, France.)

I've seen absolutely nothing would suggest Roundup is "less harmful" for soil, amphibian or human life. But maybe that's just me. I try not to guess about it. We all make our own decisions based on what we know, what we believe, what we wish were true or what we guess about. By way of full disclosure, I will admit to having an extreme hatred of Monsanto but that's for another discussion.

My first choice is to lay down a thick layer of mulch around the hive, just as I do in the garden, and not worry about weeds. The only downside is you have to be careful where you set down the smoker.

Wayne
    Last edited by waynesgarden; 08-11-2009 at 07:54 PM. Reason: When I'm passionate about something, spelling falls by the wayside.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
    All the grocery stores here carry the 5 & 9%. They also make a 20% but it has been recommended by to many popular organic programs and the price of it has skyrocketed. Some organic programs have backed off the 20% and now recommend the 10%. We were talking about the vinegar here a while back and MapMan recommended some stuff that you can get at a camera store. Let me find that link.

Here it is.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...hlight=vinegar
    Here in Farmington we could only find the 5% and it did work worth a hoot an the weeds.

I tried straight vinegar on some weeds around the yard, they loved it, never looked so green.
    I'm not tense, Just terribly, terribly alert!

Quote Originally Posted by BGhoney View Post
    I tried straight vinegar on some weeds around the yard, they loved it, never looked so green.
    They must know my weeds

Here is some additional data cited by another source:

Get ahold of 10% vinegar (not the 5% that you often see in the grocery stores). You can also use 20%, but it costs more and the results may not be worth the difference. Put in an ounce of orange oil (citrus oil) along with a teaspoon of liquid soap. (Avoid the "germicide" type soap products as they are no good for your yard, much less putting that toxic substance on your own skin.) [Orange oil comes from the oils of citrus fruits. TKO is a commercial product, but there are places that sell orange oil, especially organic gardening centers. Orange oil, by the way, is a great cleaner and solvent and ant/bug killer. It is all natural. Many products now contain orange oil along with their chemicals.] So, what you end up with here is this bottle of high acidic vinegar with a bit of orange oil and liquid soap. When you spray it or pour it on a weed on a hot and sunny day, it will burn the weed. Often, the weed will fry in a few hours. Yet, it doesn't hurt your yard or plants or trees like so many commercial chemicals out there.
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

I use the orange oil all the time. It does work great for ants. Drench the mound and the whole mound is dead with in hours.

Hey guys!

I didn't know vinegar, just on its own, would do the trick. I'll give that a whirl.

As far as the salt is concerned, I live next to a creek and cannot use chemicals like brush killer or weed killer which could contaminate the water. The previous owner of my house allowed a strand of bamboo to get waaaaaay out of hand, so I read that water conditioner salt (which is big chunks of salt) would kill it. Well, it didn't kill it, but it stopped the new stalks from coming up for months. I suppose its less hazardous to the environment than something churned up in some factory. Bamboo......ugh! Maybe I should get a panda next?

By the way, I remembered that I saw that salt/vinegar weed killer tip on a PBS station, an organic farming show. I tried it afterwards and it did work.

I'll try the vinegar this weekend and try to report back with my findings. Hopefully the smell won't drive my bees into frenzy mode!

Bamboo is in thr grass family and it's salt tolerant.
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

I'll try the vinegar this weekend and try to report back with my findings. Hopefully the smell won't drive my bees into frenzy mode!
    I use it all around my hives and it never seems to bother them. I do add the soap to my mix to make sure it sticks good. I used to add the orange oil to but the price of that stuff has gotten to high, so I just use it on the ants.

Quote Originally Posted by BEES4U View Post
    Here is some additional data cited by another source:

Get ahold of 10% vinegar (not the 5% that you often see in the grocery stores). You can also use 20%, but it costs more and the results may not be worth the difference. Put in an ounce of orange oil (citrus oil) along with a teaspoon of liquid soap. (Avoid the "germicide" type soap products as they are no good for your yard, much less putting that toxic substance on your own skin.) [Orange oil comes from the oils of citrus fruits. TKO is a commercial product, but there are places that sell orange oil, especially organic gardening centers. Orange oil, by the way, is a great cleaner and solvent and ant/bug killer. It is all natural. Many products now contain orange oil along with their chemicals.] So, what you end up with here is this bottle of high acidic vinegar with a bit of orange oil and liquid soap. When you spray it or pour it on a weed on a hot and sunny day, it will burn the weed. Often, the weed will fry in a few hours. Yet, it doesn't hurt your yard or plants or trees like so many commercial chemicals out there.
    Ernie
    Ernie - You don't use salt?

Has anyone check to see if Smart and Final carries the higher percentage vineger? Not that we have one here in New Mexico, but I'll check on my next trip back to Bakersfield for my Bacon Lovers Ice Cream

Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
    I do add the soap to my mix to make sure it sticks good.
    Derek, how much soap do you use? I can use something like Dawn or Joy?

Quote Originally Posted by bhfury View Post
    Has anyone check to see if Smart and Final carries the higher percentage vineger? Not that we have one here in New Mexico, but I'll check on my next trip back to Bakersfield for my Bacon Lovers Ice Cream
    BHFury: That ice cream sounds.....fattening? Haha! I assume that's not a hot seller during Hanukkah!

About a teaspoon per gallon. I just give it a good one one-thousand count. Dawn is what I use.

Another plus of using the vinegar. It only cost about $2 per gallon.

Quote Originally Posted by bhfury View Post
    I'll check on my next trip back to Bakersfield for my Bacon Lovers Ice Cream
    That's a man that has his priorities in line.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast