Default hellooooo beesourcers

Hey everyone, I'm a new beekeeper, have 2 beautiful hives chock full of the cleverest little ladies...

I bought two lovely singles about 2 weeks ago and I've put second deeps on, lots of eggs and larvae in both hives, although I'm not sure that I've seen the queens yet. I baited both hives up into the second deeps and they are drawing comb up top so all seems well. Found a few queen cups in the stronger of the two, but didn't see eggs or larvae in em, so I took em off and bumped an outer frame of brood up top to make sure there was more room to lay, in case that was an issue. Maybe it was supersedure?

I'm on a friend's organic farm in Nova Scotia, with tonnes of stuff in bloom, still some dandelions and domestic clovers, lots of wild clovers in bloom right now, goldenrod coming on. The linden trees just lost their blossoms, but boy did the bees love them. They sounded like a power station when they were in bloom. I have my own farm a few hours from here, but I'm not living there yet. Gotta plant some lindens someday. And apples, pears, plums, cherries and berries

Anyways, love the site, and I look forward to lots of bee-talk!

Default Re: hellooooo beesourcers

What a great location for your hives. One of the beekeepers I know is lucky enough to have his hives on an organic farm as well and they have been doing great. Regarding the queen cells, the placement should tell you if they were supercedure or swarm cells. Swarm cells are usually towards the bottom and supercedure cells are in the upper parts of the frame.

Good luck with your hives!
    "Life is like riding a bike. It is impossible to maintain your balance while standing still."...Linda Brakeall

Default Re: hellooooo beesourcers

Yeah, I wasn't paying careful enough attention, but I believe they were on the bottoms of the lower deep. I'm going back in my hives shortly as I'm considering equalizing them by swapping a frame of brood, although I'll wait till I look inside to make that decision, but I'll take the opportunity to look to see if they are making any more cups. Don't know why they'd swarm, and I sure don't want them to this late, nevermind I can't afford more boxes to try to catch them right now, but I guess we'll see. I guess if they do swarm, and I catch them, they can be recombined some time afterwards?