Default WTB radial extractor

Hoping for a miracle... looking for a radial in the 9-frame range, hand-powered. Would like to pay <$500, can pick up in CO/southern WY area or consider shipping (though shipping a $500 extractor and might as well get one new). Let me know what you've got laying around...
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Default Re: WTB radial extractor

Any luck finding one yet?
    www.maxantindustries.com
    American made Honey Processing Equipment "Built to last a lifetime"

Ben,

Why would you pay $500 for a USED 9 frame radial when you can purchase a new one from Brushy Mountain for $425 plus shipping. I figure another $100 for shipping. Of course it will take 2 1/2 half weeks to get it because they are a bit slow.

Fuzzy

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Ben,

Why would you pay $500 for a USED 9 frame radial when you can purchase a new one from Brushy Mountain for $425 plus shipping. I figure another $100 for shipping. Of course it will take 2 1/2 half weeks to get it because they are a bit slow.

Fuzzy
    Yeah, the $500 is my max, for that reason. If it isn't in brand-new condition, well I wouldn't pay that much for it. I probably will end up with the Brushy extractor in the end, just seeing what's out there.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Just buy the Maxant now cause after using the brushymountain made in Italy thing you will wish you had the Maxant. BrushyMountain only sounds cheap. Cant compare to Maxant quality. And also made here. USA.

I don't know how many supers Ben will run through it each year. I have one of the 9 frame Brushy radials with a motor and I have no complaints. I have had it for 7 years and spin 20 to 40 supers a year. The honey that I sold paid for it in the first year.

Fuzzy

Not saying Brushy stuff is junk, but it aint what a Maxant is and for only a couple hundred bucks more you can spin twice as much. Also made USA not foreign.

You need to buy what best suits your budget! You also need to ask yourself is this a hobby that you dont see yourself doing in a few years? If so, maybe a cheaper extractor is what you need?
    I always look at any higher dollar purchases as investments. Our machines usually yield good returns when being sold as used!
    www.maxantindustries.com
    American made Honey Processing Equipment "Built to last a lifetime"

Well that's it; I'm not going pro anytime soon and something around 20 supers would be a max for the foreseeable future, maybe a couple times a year. Plus for me, and this is just me, having to flip over a third of the frames (the 9-frame Maxant actually does 6 radially and 3 as a tang) in each run would be an extra step. By all reports it's a great product, don't get me wrong, but for my particular use as a small sideliner the Cadillac just doesn't have the same cost-benefit as the Chevy .
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Ben,

Regardless of the brand/model that you eventually get consider this. Most folks do not have a good "hard" mount bolted to solid concrete. It is common to have a highly imbalanced load when you start out and the extractor will rattle around and force you to spin slowly until the load balances out. If you do not have a hard mount then I recomend that you bolt the extractor to a 3/4 or 1 in piece of Plywood. And then put 3 ( not 4 ) high quality wheels, that can rotate any direction, in a triangle pattern on the plywood. For reference think of furniture dolly wheels. The wheels allow the machine to wobble in place and absorb the imbalance shock. You can spin the load up to full speed as quickly as you can crank it up. The faster the spin, the less the wobble.

I know, everyone thinks this is crazy, but it really does work as described. And it saves
    wear and tear on the bearings. Do keep the bottom bearing lubed.

Regards -- Fuzzy

I've sure had that on my current extractor... I'll have to try that out. Can't bolt solidly as I do not have a honey house (just a honey-do list that starts with "go ahead and extract but I'd better not be able to tell afterwards") .
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO