Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Beebee Tree(Korean Evodia)

I have heard that this is a great nectar source and I am thinking about planting a couple of trees. Seems to be hard to get. Does anybody have experience with this tree?

Default Re: Beebee Tree(Korean Evodia)

I've researched them in the past. I think the seedling trees are hard to find but you can find the seed. I've found seeds easily in the past. My research led me to the conclusion that I really didn't want any of these trees on my place so I abandoned the idea. Generally, I've had bad luck planting things to be a nectar source for my bees. Either the plant/tree didn't do very well or the bees liked something else much better than what I planted.
    When you stop learning you're dead.

I have seed available and will have dormant seedlings this winter. They do fine here, lots of bees on them, but will raise and crack a sidewalk something fierce.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    I have seed available and will have dormant seedlings this winter. They do fine here, lots of bees on them, but will raise and crack a sidewalk something fierce.
    PM me when you have something put together on the seedlings.

BB

Check out these guys http://tuscarawascountybeeclub.com/beebee.htm

It took me a week and I had my seeds. Nice group of beeks.

Quote Originally Posted by EastSideBuzz View Post
    Check out these guys http://tuscarawascountybeeclub.com/beebee.htm

It took me a week and I had my seeds. Nice group of beeks.
    They still have them (JAN 2010)just sent an order.
    100 seeds for 10 bucks.
    Don't know if they will survive this far north, but going to try.

BM
    “Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." - JOHN F. KENNEDY -

I pick up some seed from someone on this board that is from northeast ohio. I haven't Started them yet.
    David/toledo
    My-smokepole
    http://www.davidspaintingandwallpapering.com"

I got 25 Bee Bee Tree seedlings for $25 from ODFrank (see post above) planted them and they are doing well. Much better deal than the seeds.

That is a good deal from odfrank. I got some trees from wolfescrossing farm in Ohio. They arrivied in good shape. I hope this cold snap here in the Northeast doesn't kill them. I'm going heavy on straw mulch.
    I also got some seeds from the tuscarawas beekeepers. Planted them in late Nov.
    Here's the deal with the seeds. They have to be exposed to cold for some time to make them germinate. Planting them in the fall is recommended. There was another method mentioned in the instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    I got 25 Bee Bee Tree seedlings for $25 from ODFrank (see post above) planted them and they are doing well. Much better deal than the seeds.
    Why, thank you. I am sold out on the seedlings but still have plenty of seeds. I will grow more for next year. All you have to do is stratify them...place them in a baggie with slightly moist sand in the fridge for a month before sowing. Mine came up like a lawn.

How fast do these trees grow. How long before they have a bloom?

Scott,

Rule of thumb for fruit trees is seven years until a good crop of fruit. There will be straggler blossems before that. I have also read that the BeeBee tree takes even years before a good crop of blossems. I bought the last of ODFrank's seedlings in January, planted them in individual pots in my green house and they are starting to leaf out. Also bought and planted in the green house seeds from the Ohio beek club but they haven't germinated yet.
    I am also starting a number of other bee friendly plant seeds. Look 'N to the future!

Hope this helps

Regards,
    Bear Creek Steve

Scott,

That should be .....seven years until a good crop of blossems ....

Bear Creek Steve

Thanks Steve.

I know where one of thes trees are. Any trick to collecting the seeds?

Scott,

I can't help you there because I've never even seen a beebee tree. However I would suggest that you contact odfrank and/or the Ohio beekeeping club both of which have made posts on BeeSource.com. They both have seeds available and are more knowledgable of the tree thanI am. Do a search on this website and I'm sure you will find one or both of them. My seedlings (2-6 inches tall) are starting to leaf out in a greenhouse.

Here's odfrank's e-mail address: odfrank@earthlink.net

Regards,
    Steve

How big do they get? Grow fast or slow? What time of year do they bloom? Roots above ground? Messy? Etc, etc?.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott J. View Post
    I know where one of thes trees are. Any trick to collecting the seeds?
    In fall the tree will be covered in dry flower heads containing black seeds. Collect them before the bees do.

How big do they get? Grow fast or slow? What time of year do they >>bloom? Roots above ground? Messy? Etc, etc?.

Mine has stayed small, Grow slow to medium speed, bloom late summer, not messy, invasive roots, notice buckled sidewalk:

just trying to find evodia tree for sale . do you still have these? i know this is an old post.
    cheryl mcdonald

I still have them for sale in 4" pots and will have bareroot whips in a month or so when they lose their leaves.

I know this is an old thread, but that being the case - maybe by now some people can actually attest from experience to their usefulness as a mid-summer nectar source. Do they produce enough nectar for long enough to be worth messing with?

It's the beginning of August and in my area Aralia spinosa just finished blooming - for three or four days it is absolutely covered up with bees, but I can't really see any obvious nectar surge in the hives. No doubt it is better than nothing, but probably not worth cultivating either. Got me wondering if evodia is any better?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast