Default Follow up on"Holy Bad beekeeper......"

I had to start a new thread...sorry. I haven't been able to get online the past few days.....why you ask. More mess clean up. The article didn't mention "....the rest of the story..."
    So after I spoke at length with the Local P.D. The story was that the California guys had some problem with their forklift trailer. Which makes since b/c the nice Hummer Bee with smoke/fork attachments was parked next to the truck with no trailer. But whilst they were getting the problem fixed, somehow, beer and or alcohol became involved. The P.D. just said that alcohol was a factor. My personal guess is that they couldn't show up drunk and get the truck so they left it. (The police had me pull the key out of the forklift so that the driver would have to have a visit with the P.D. prior to retrieval of the machine) At about 10:30am the temp was 70 degrees and climbing, the bees started flying, people started freaking out, so the P.D. crime scene taped the area and decided to tow the truck. The truck was towed at about 1pm, temperature 82-84 perfectly sunny. So the bees came home to roost on the car.
    As it turns out the truck was stopped at a train crossin in the middle of town for about 25 minutes on its way to the impound yard. (Friday was clean the clusters of bees up from the train crossing day) Then, yes they parked the truck in the impound yard. (Saturday was clean up the cluster of bees from the impound yard day) Then yesterday, I went to move bee into a location I had obtained from a local farmer. The area is known for bears and I had built an electric bear fence there Thursday morning prior to all of this happening. Well , somehow, 11 pallets (44colonies) of bees, looking identical to those on the truck in the parking lot were sitting IN MY BEAR FENCE when I arrived at 6am Sunday morning. I picked them up and set them aout 100 yrds outside the fence and put mine in.
    Then tonight I recieved a call from some folks about 5 miles from my house. They were upset because someone had set bees 50 feet from their front door and they couldn't leave their house. I went over and had a look and again same bees. We tried to call bouye and his local guy but with no answer. I am going to move these bees in the morning so that the land owners can at least go to work. Am I wrong for doing this?

As for all of your responses....thanks: Keith J. Seems like you have talked some people who know what is going on. I p.m.ed you.
    The guy who mentioned the "hive door" thing. He was just one of the characters that came out of the woodwork, along with some hippy that said he could remove the bees with telepathy, 10 or 15 others that just had to cross the police line and get close enough to get bees tangled in their hair and take off running across the parking lot.(too funny)
    There were several people stung, but I haven't heard of any serious reaction....thank goodness. Where were the abulance chasing lawyers that day? can you say gross neglagence?
    At anyrate, I did send BWB Honey company and the City a bill for our time......but I honestly will be suprised if they pay.
    The real problem here is that our friends and neighbors in the community, and public at large do not care about beekeeping industry politics. They see bees, bees causing problems, they think "who do we know who has bees", oh, it must be Simply Honey and Haefelis bees. So despite the press actually reporting acuratly this time we will still have problems obtaining new yards, and keeping a good repore in the community. My cousin at Haefelis Honey did write a letter to the editor telling people what color hives belonged to which beekeepers...........stay tuned.
    Last edited by simplyhoney; 07-28-2009 at 01:01 PM.

Default Re: Follow up on"Holy Bad beekeeper......"

It's easier to stay out then to get out.

I'm wondering at what point the hives and the bees in them become abandoned property? In my case, I rent yards and buildings and such and if a company or an individual leaves stuff on my property it becomes mine, for better or for worse. (They never leave good stuff like bees, only toxic waste and large tracked equipment that doesn't run.)

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...e/DSCN5266.jpg

I know that around here if you've let cattle get out and a neighbor pens them up and begins feeding them that he can legally charge you a pretty penny for boarding them until you retrieve them. Are bees treated the same? Or are they treated like the family dog?i

This is an interesting situation, which could become one of those "teachable moments" for beekeeping.

I think finding their hives in MY yard would have been the frosting on the cake.
    Not sure how I would have handled that one.I think you have responded very reasonably to a bad situation.

I would load all hives and move to an out yard and hold them for storage payment. Have the local police department back this up since they were the ones who had to have them removed and they did not have the proper impound yard for live bees.

Are the local PD still holding their truck and fork lift? fines and fees will have to be paid before they will release them. You should be able to charge a reasonable fee for your work and the storage of the hives.

G3

>>But whilst they were getting the problem fixed, somehow, beer and or alcohol became involved. The P.D. just said that alcohol was a factor

Wow! Thats nuts!
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Hey Derek, it's time for the popcorn.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Default The Morning After

Must have been a heck of a hangover. News media sheriff tow company and all.

And folks wonder what causes people to set fire to several pallets of bees...

i would think it was time for a quick police auction.