Default Queen from Mike's Bees and Honey

Had a colony go queenless a while back. I gave them eggs and brood twice hoping that they would raise a new queen. No joy.

I contacted Mike's through e-mail (mikesbeesandhoney.com). The next day he called and we went through my options. I felt very comfortable ordering my queen from him and placed the order on their web site that night.

They shipped the bee the next day via USPS Express Mail. We received a call later that day from Mike's to let us know that the bee had been shipped and that my local post office would have it in 2 days. When I did not receive the queen on the day that I expected, I sent a note to Mike's. They called the post office to find out what happened. It was still en route and had been delayed in Cincinnati. The next day, my local post office called and wanted my bees out of there ASAP.

Based upon my experience I would recommend Mike's. If my local supplier is out again, I will not hesitate to order from Mike's again.

The only disappointing part of the experience was the crabbiness that I experienced in the Elk River, MN post office.
    -Phil Domeier
    www.nowthenhoney.com

Default Re: Queen from Mike's Bees and Honey

I had a very similar experience with Mike's Bees and Honey. I had a hive go queenless and couldn't find a supplier. They sent me a queen very quickly. The queen arrived very lethargic and almost dead because it was so cold (early June in ND). This was no fault of the supplier. I revived her and put her in the hive. I also contacted Mike through email and told him about the condition of the queen, but that she had survived. The queen was actually not accepted in the hive, BUT about five days later, a SECOND queen showed up at my door. I didn't request replacement - Mike just took it upon himself to send it, in case the first one didn't make it.

I would highly recommend getting queens from Mike.

I got one of his Cordovan queens last week. Service was great and she arrived in good shape. Now we'll see how well she does in her nuc. I always start new queens in a nuc first and then combine them with a colony after she has some brood. This gives about a 95 percent success rate.

I did a 'top-to-bottom' of the colony that I requeened with one of Mike's and she's been a very, very busy girl. The bees seem to have figured it out too as they appear to be moving pollen and nectar out of the way to give her a nice spot in the center of the frames for laying.
    -Phil Domeier
    www.nowthenhoney.com

I had the same experience. Hive went queenless. Called him. He sent a queen the next day and called to confirm it was mailed. Great service.

Now I've just got to convince these bees that they need a queen.

I'll confirm all the above reviews. Mike's sent me a queen very quickly, she arrived in fantastic condition and this company was a pleasure to deal with. I'd definately use them again and recommend them.

I must agree with everyone else on this thread, I have had the same experience with Mike's. I called on Friday and they went over my options. They shipped my queen on Monday she was in the hive on Tuesday and by the following Monday she was out and laying like crazy. She has been in for about 6 weeks and is doing great. She was one of their Russian's.

So nice to read all these great reports.
    I know where I'll order from if I ever need to get a new queen quickly in the mail.
    The little bee returns with evening's gloom,
    To join her comrades in the braided hive... -Tennyson

Does any one know if Mike's is still around the website no longer seems to work.

Yeah I have his website saved on my favorites and it's not working for me either.

-Dan

I know he was back logged last I got and email from him. Was hoping to get a late queen or two from him.

Those dang ISP people. He needs to renew his .com in order to get it reistablished....s

Trying to find his site this am. We get some of our breeder queens from him. Very accomodating and knowledgeable.
    larry

I just spoke to Mike a few days ago. I know he was working on some late queens. I don't have hsi phone number here at work. Give him a call if you have his number.

Tom

I have had good luck with Mike's bees. Ordered a Minnesota Hygenic and a Russian, both queens are laying very well. Mike's Bees in Ohio!