Default 2 swarms; one location

I got a call yesterday from a lady who witnessed a huge swarm of bees crossing her field circling her house and eventually taking up residence in some holes in the siding on the house. The swarm occured on Wed. Yesterday as they were in the field they noticed another ball of bees in an oak tree, about 300 yards from the house. I came out and got the swarm in the trees with relative ease. I put it into a Warre style bait hive I had and brought them home. It is very late in Wisconsin and I am looking for ideas on how to proceed with this hive to make it thru the (harsh) winters. How many more Warre boxes to add at this point? How do I know when/if I should begin/end feeding? What else to do?

Second part. The lady obviously wants the other bees out of the house. I plan to go over today and try a trap out (again using a Warre style box). Any suggestions on how to approach this? What are the chances of getting all the bees and queen since they've only been there a couple days? From what she tells me they've never had honey bees there before; only some wasps so I don't think a 'cut out' would do any good. If I can get most of the bees out should I keep this swarm as a seperate colony from the one from the tree or try to combine?

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. If it were earlier in the season this might be s simpler situation but I want to do all I can to make sure they all survive the winter. Thanks!

Default Re: 2 swarms; one location

The swarm in the wall is simliar to what I asked about a couple of weeks ago. The only way ur going to get the queen out of there is cutting and extraction. I did read an article about taking time (a month) and getting as many bees out as you can and adding your own queen, but from what your talking about, sounds like time is not on your side to do this method.

Good luck

I would expect one deep langstroth box for a swarm at this point, give or take. I feed those heavily.

Search forum for

-Cut out

-Trap out

One of the two will work but depends on their location and ability to and laws regarding your cutting into the house.

Using your swarm in a bait hive you can do a trap out and build up your swarm with bees.

I do not know your area, but may need to feed them to get them to build up. In my area I have to be careful with robbing and yellow jackets this time of year and have to narrow entrances too.

Good luck