Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baby Bob

Default Re: Baby Bob

Yes, it is bobcat but both will take down a whitetail when adults. The comments about "check your local laws". If it is not captive in a cage and is free to leave when ever "it" wants, no laws are being broken.

I suppose it's possible for a bobcat to take down a deer, but highly unusual. Bobcats mostly eat rodents, like the ground squirrels we have so many of.
    This cat is free to come and go at will in its original environment.
    It is kind of a complicated situation and what is "right" is un clear.
    Beeslave: In Wisconsin aren't those lynxes? They are somewhat larger than a bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G. Laury View Post
    I suppose it's possible for a bobcat to take down a deer, but highly unusual.
    Deer IS part of their regular diet but yes I agree only the largest and hungriest would take on a full size deer. It is my understanding that they will stalk and attack bedding deer and young deer. We do have bobcat in Wisconsin, not sure about Lynx. I think they are further north. Bobcat out compete Lynx in areas where they overlap, they are more aggressive. But my point was that he/she will grow to be a big animal, quite capable of taking out the neighbors poodle, or small child.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom G. Laury View Post
    It is kind of a complicated situation and what is "right" is un clear.
    Does this mean we won't be seeing you in a bobcat suit anytime soon?

Seriously, I would contact the Morgan Hill people (from a phone without caller ID) and see if they can help. I sure couldn't turn away such a cute helpless needy critter but I would hate to condemn it to the hopeless situation of being dependant on humans but being in danger when he comes around them. Cats being cats, he won't stick exclusively around your place as he grows up, and someone will, as previously stated, "Kill the mountain lion".
    Sheri

Well Sheri around here most of them live in areas without deer, so I doubt highly it is a regular part of their diet. Rabbits, squirrels, mice, etc.

But I totally agree with you on everything else. It is a wild animal and wiil become unpredictable as it matures. From what I have read, it needs to be rehabilitated to return to the wild and even then may not survive. This kind of thing happens more and more now as people occupy more and more space, putting pressure on the critters.

A bobcat suit sounds a little extravagant and HOT but while I'm in Finland for the month of August Dereks' wife wants me to find him a bobcat hat to wear when they go hunting together.

Thanks for the concern Sheri, mine are the same.

The Wildlife Rehab folks visited on Saturday and took the kit on Sunday (today). It was already too acclimated to humans to be rehabilitated for living on its own. He will become an instructional aid and learn to be in a harness, otherwise living the life of Riley I guess. Whaddaya do? It was starving and would have died from what I could see.

Comments? Interesting ethics exercise. Like we're back in college!

I bet you hated to see it go, but you did the right thing, imo. Too bad it couldn't be rehabbed but it would have died if you hadn't taken it in. Now it's life will go to educating people on what beautiful animals they are and hopefully encourage others towards protecting them and their habitats.
    I wouldn't have done anything differently.
    Sheri

Kudos! to you and your family. You did the right thing for this little kit. Now it will live a great life and help its species by teaching humans to have respect and love for all the beauty of nature. You guys did a remarkable job of keeping it healthy and strong! Plus you all got the precious time with it to enjoy how cute and beautiful it is. Well done!