Default How do I reduce moisture content?

Hi all. I use crush and strain method and to speed up the process, I leave the pail out in the sun for a few hours normally. Well this time, I forgot one bucket outside when I left for the weekend. I came back and honey seems fine other than when I put the refractometer to it, it comes up as 19.4 moisture content.

It sure does look kinda thin and runny too just visually compared to what I'm used to. It's the typical humid Florida weather and I'm sure it absorbed the moisture sitting out that long. My typical honey readings are about 18 so it's always a little on the high side, again maybe a by product of Florida weather but anyway, clearly 19.4 isn't going to cut it.

I know different flower sources will produce different densities of honey but this one I sure want to reduce the moisture in it.

So far, I am just leaving the bucket inside with the Air conditioning on I placed a fan over the bucket to blow on it.

Should I stir the honey or what? How long do you think I'll have to keep that up if that is the solution? Any other better method for reducing moisture you all know of?

Default Re: How do I reduce moisture content?

Have you stired up the honey since you brought the bucket in?
    I recall reading somewheres that the moisture content will be higher on top than down below for honey that's been sitting out.

Unfortunately I have stirred it before taking the reading...it was 19.4 or thereabouts ;-(

get some flat pans and pour the honey into them. Place in a small room or make one with plastic. Run a dehuidifier....should remove about 1% per day depending on temp and how small room is.

The dehumidifier is a good idea.

You can also blend the wet honey with a dryer honey.

I have read that lowering moisture content in honey without the proper equipment ($$$) is hard to do once the honey is out of the comb. The cost is kinda out of reach for the hobbiests.
    What you want to do is maximize the surface area (shallow pans and lots of them) in a air-conditioned area (small room with a dehimidifier and fan (dry and very warm)). A closet where you can set the pans on shelves and move the dehimidified air with the fan over/through the shelves works great.