Default I need a new AM Radio

It's time for me to shop for a new clock radio. I'm an insomniac so I spend an awful amount of time lying in bed listening to my radio as I wait (and wait, and wait!!!) to fall asleep. I prefer to listen to talk radio rather than music so most radios that I would be interested in would need good AM features rather than FM features. I'm having a difficult time finding information on a good solid clock radio. I think I may have finally fuddy-duddied myself into irrelevance.
    Whenever I buy any product I try to find the best that I can reasonably afford, maintain it well and then keep the product for a very long time. My two most recent clock radios both had some very nice points and also some real weak points. Both have been retired while still in very nice working order, just not good enough anymore. About 30 years ago I bought a Proton 320 and was certain that I had bought the best radio for my purposes. To this day it is a good solid radio and still gets played everyday. It was eventually replaced as my bedside radio because the incredibly tiny lightbulb that lights the dial would have to be replaced every few months and the last time I replaced the bulb I screwed up something that made the dial permanently dark. That radio is now in the bathroom where a darkened dial isn't a problem.
    Probably about 15 years ago I bought my current CCRadio. Although a strong and consistent performer it has never been a real favorite of mine. It includes AM, FM, Weather and TV bands. It is supposed to be designed specifically for the kind of listening that I do and seems to perform at least a little better than most other radios. It draws in a lot of the weaker stations but I suspect there must be something better available by now. My biggest pet peeve with this radio is that it is poorly laid out and more difficult to operate than I prefer a bedside clock radio to be. I prefer a radio that is simple enough to operate that I don't have to refer to the owners manual just to reset the alarm! Although I rarely ever listened to the TV Band now that it is extinct I think the time is right to retire this radio.

Here are my priorities:
    Strong, clear AM band. Any other bands will be okay as long as they don't clutter
    At least one alarm, two is better
    Must not be overly complicated to use
    May be analog or digital
    Should have a battery backup at least for the alarm

Does anybody have a strong yet simple clock radio that can really pull in the stations? How about suggestions on an antenna that won't interfere with airliners flying overhead? I won't start squacking 'til the price goes over $200.

George

Default Re: I need a new AM Radio

George...... we were apparently separated at birth.
    I love the AM for talk.

I have a little Grundig that does really well and also
    lets me listen to shortwave and SSB (single side band)
    if I want. It's small, portable, and comes with an aux.
    antenna (other than the mast) that stretches like 20'.

Here's one like I have but if you search "Grundig" you'll
    see hundreds on ebay.

Mine is complicated to a degree but they make the basic
    models as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Grundig-Yacht-Bo...3A1%7C294%3A50

We have a Grundig shortwave that's been a good radio. DH recommends buying from Universal Radio. I think I remember seeing a Grundig at Radio Shack, but I could be mistaken.
    So many weeds.......so little time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundance View Post

Mine is complicated to a degree but they make the basic
    models as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Grundig-Yacht-Bo...3A1%7C294%3A50
    This is a little spooky! Here's my backup http://www.amazon.com/Grundig-TR2PE-.../dp/B00002NDR6 I wonder what Art Bell would make of this?

George

I dredged up this old thread to say that several months ago I bought a WIFI Internet radio. It's kinda neat having crystal clear reception on thousands of radio stations from around the world but the particular radio that I bought is a little quirky. http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Squee...9189735&sr=8-1 I love it and I want to toss it out the window all at the same time. I think that (WIFI) Internet radio may not be ready to replace over-the-air radio but it is fun to play with.
    I set up accounts on Pandora and Shoutcast that allow me to listen to comedy 24/7. I tell Pandora what I like and Pandora creates a radio station just for me---or---I turn to Shoutcast and have the choice of several existing comedy stations. Comedy just happens to be my preference I could have anything from sports to rock to political talk or anything in between. It is particularly good for old time radio shows and podcasts.
    Is anybody else playing with internet radio? Does anybody have any questions?

George

Any other WIFI radios out there that you think might work better? BTW, I am a night listener too, til I drop to sleep from exhaustion... I use a Sony ICF-2010, a nice oldie but goodie. In the valleys here it is tough to pick up anything, I tend to get WLS out of Chicago, and if I feel like spinning the dial, I can get a lot of SW, and HAMs.
    MM

Hi MapMan,
    this is my only experience with a WIFI radio so I really can't tell you anything about other brands.
    I did my research and decided on the Logitech Squeezebox not long after it was introduced. At that time all of the reviews were good and the features seemed to be just what I was looking for. Initial setup was simple even though the users manual that comes with the radio is quite skimpy. It took me awhile to realize that there are a couple websites and a discussion board that take the place of a users manual. I'm not much of a computer guy and what I didn't realize, or fully appreciate, is that this is a computer that seems to be a radio. The sky is the limit as far as personalizing this "radio". It is constantly evolving via firmware updates from the factory and patches/tricks/whatever submitted to the forum by Squeezebox owners. Yes, if you're a computer guy you can jump right in there and design your own programs/shortcuts/etc. Unfortunately the manufacturer seems to have rushed into production and is letting the consumers sort out the problems. (Did someone say Microsoft?) To date the biggest problems are related to a highly unpredictable alarm clock and the manufacturers inability to supply a battery and remote control unit after many months of advertising and promising both.
    After using this "radio" for several months I have resigned myself to the fact that this is not a simple bedside radio that I can operate in my sleep. Almost anything that I want to do requires that I scroll through one or multiple menus which virtually guarantees that I will be fully awake before I'm done. This and the unreliable alarm clock make this unit completely unacceptable as an only option. My old radio, the one with the reliable alarm, still sits right behind this one.
    After all that you may wonder why I even bother, well, it's got ahold of me. I can listen to thousands of crystal clear radio stations from anywhere in the world. Much of what I listen to is not censored for inappropriate language which is a real mixed blessing. If I do not want to listen to somebody else's music I can listen to whatever I have stored on my own computer. Through various subscription services, mostly free, I can focus on as broad or narrow a range of listening as i want. Going back to over the air broadcasts now would be like going back to black and white network TV.

George

Sorry 'bout your insomnia, but doesn't talk radio keep you awake? I would think that at least some of it would raise your bp. Right d'fly?

Sorry, I didn't know you could still buy AM radios.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

If you don't get good AM reception where you live, buy one that has a connector for an external antenna. It can just be a long wire. Makes all the difference in the world.
    The grundigs probably have such a connection.
    Dan

In the late 60's early 70's I remember picking up WKBW AM Buffalo NY in Newark Delaware. Almost 400 miles away.

I saw this post a out AM radios and I have been trying to think of the call letters of the station... it finally came to me.

I can't fall asleep very well listening to music with lyrics. Piano with a jazz leaning would be my choice.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...