Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do bees sense you have recently been stung?

I was stung on the upper lip last night while working a hive. It was getting dark and it found it's way into my veil.

I was just ioutside, nowhere near my hives, and was stung twice more, one on the lowwer eyelid and one on the bridge of the nose.

Do bees detect your reaction to having already been stung triggering the kind of behavior I just experienced?

sorry for the typos, my eyes are nearly swollen shut.

Default Re: Do bees secce you have recently been stung?

I have heard that they don't sense you getting stung, but they do "sense" the fact that one of thier sisters stung you, some kind of hormone or pheramone that is released when a bee stings and its stinger is removed from its body (along with guts )

Next time you get stung; puff a little smoke on the affected area. This helps cover the scent and prevents another sting. Seems to work for me.

Default Re: Do bees sense you have recently been stung?

Bees leave a pheramone when they sting, this puts other bees into a defensive mode !

But it's best to follow known rules; Do not mess with bees in the evening, before or after a storm, etc.

Lot's of known facts in the bee books and at your local bee club.

PCM

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew C View Post
    Next time you get stung; puff a little smoke on the affected area. This helps cover the scent and prevents another sting. Seems to work for me.
    Has worked for me as well.....

I understand about the pheramone that is released when one bee stings and how it makes their sisters more defencive. What happened here, though, was probably seperated by 15 and then another 2 hours.

I also understand that is is a bad idea to work on hives afterdark. The sting last night was, I'm sure, the result of not following the rule not to work with bees after dark.

As I stated before, I was not near the hives, porbably at least 30 feet away. It was as though they just zeroed in on my face and where it was already swollen. The second sting, on the bridge of my nose, causes a good deal of additional swelling, especially around my left eye. The 3rd sting, to my lower right eyelid which was already very swollen, came about 2 hours later. That third sting did not seem to do anything. In fact, the swelling around my right eye has gone down rather rapidly since the 3rd sting.

Smile Re: Do bees sense you have recently been stung?

Bayaba,
    Sounds like it's time to change a queen. Those are some aggressive bees if you get popped 30 feet from the hive. You aren't wearing a grilla suit are you?
    Richard

They also have this instinct to go for your head....maybe the only place on a bear to get a good sting in.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

they are drawn to CO2 which you expell through your face (nose, mouth). it also happens to be the one place were all animals are vulnerable makeing there sing effective defense against much larger pests. (bears, skunks, dogs etc)
    Last edited by Bizzybee; 07-15-2009 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Unnecessary quoting

I got stung through nitrile glove while tieing in brood come on a cut out last weekend. I accidentally pinched her so I can't blame it on the bee. There were three of us beeks working and they kept messing with me all morning and ignored the two guys removing the comb from the floorspace. I went through lots of gloves that morning (sticky from the honey). You'd think that the pheramons would have been mostly on that one glove, but they kept messing with me and me alone.

I think that more than just the sting location is marked and my considerable experience with hornets (I've been stung well over 400 times by those little demons, 27 times at once) tells me that it is highly likely (and true to me) that bees/hornets/wasps can, at least temporarily, identify individuals that have really pissed them off whether you were stung or not.
    ~Reid

Here's what I do. Go to the local pharmacy. Buy a small spray bottle. Fill it with isopropyl alcohol. When you get stung, spray the spot with the alcohol. That pretty much takes care of it. When you get a bunch of bees leaving stingers in your gloves, spray them as well. A little goes a long way.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

New queen?

Maybe.

I don't even know which hive the bees came from though.

Also, just last Saterday I spent 3 hours going thru all my hives to check to see if any were honey bound. I posted about one that had a number of queen cells in it upon that inspection. That day I was wearing shorts, a tee shirt and flip flops. Not a single bee bothered me, even from the hive that I split into several because when I found all the queen cells. That one I pulled every frame and checked them twice for the old queen.

I would like to try and understand what triggered the big change in temperment. The weather is pretty much the same as it was on Saterday (all of july is usually always the same here in Utah, hot and sunny). The only thing that I can come p with is having been stung last night when I should not have been monkeying with them.

I don't know how long bee alarm pheromones last, but I know that yellowjacket alarm pheromones can last at least a day. I stepped in a nest of them one day, crushing a bunch but not getting stung. The next day I was miles and miles away, minding my own business when a yellowjacket stung me in the calf above the boot that had stepped in the nest the day before.

I know what you mean, yellow jackets realese a sent when you crush one and they will track you up to two miles away. honey bees just want you to stay a way but the sent they leave does direct others to sting in same area. I also read some were don't know if its true but the sent of bananas is close to the sent given off when a honey bee stings.
    Last edited by Bizzybee; 07-16-2009 at 07:14 PM. Reason: http://beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231939

Quote Originally Posted by NorthWest_bee_guy View Post
    I .....I also read some were don't know if its true but the sent of bananas is close to the sent given off when a honey bee stings.
    I don't know about banana scent and honey bees, but what you heard is true for yellow jackets. That 400 plus hornet sting comment I mentioned earlier in this thread comes from a lot of Christmas tree shearing. My family used to own one of the larges Christmas tree growing operations in Washington state (Kitsap County) and I ran one of the shearing crews from high school until the end of college. We would run into at least a couple and sometimes over a dozen yellow jacket and bald-faced hornet nests a day. I think the record was over 30 down in Mason County. They just love to nest in those trees! During lunch whoever was eating a banana would get at least one hornet buzzing around them. We even went as far and hiding a banana peal in other peoples lunch boxes just to screw with them and prove it to ourselves. So, by my experience it is very true.

And concerning how long a yellow jacket will remember you, it is indeed a long time and we would recommend that people wash their clothing before coming back to work, boots and all.

You learn all kinds of interesting things with that many hornet encounters. Being that I had been stung so many times by the time I got out of high school I was basically immune to the swelling (but not the pain part), I was usually the person tieing ribbon on the unsheared tree with the bees in it so no one else would try to shear it. But if, while marking the tree, I accidentially wiggled a branch too much, the yellow jackets or hornets would sometimes explode out of the tree, go right around me, and head right for the person who originally spooked them if that person happen to be upwind. It was alway something to see.

Also, if while marking the tree a yellow jacket or even a fly would buzz me and I'd get that instant adrenaline sweat, they would bust out of their hive within a second!

Oh, and by the way, don't ever run in a straight line. Like down a road I've see people run for a long long long way with a black cloud of bald-faced hornets on their tail (yes, sometimes it was me). Sometimes up to 0.5 miles. It's better to quickly zigzag around vegetation and loop back, it seems to confuse them and if you're not really marked (as in you're not stung or didn't actually get righ up to the nest) they tend to get confused as to where the offender went. Just a trick I learn so I wouldn't have to run so far.

Good times!

~Reid

Quote Originally Posted by bayaba View Post
    I would like to try and understand what triggered the big change in temperment. The weather is pretty much the same as it was on Saterday (all of july is usually always the same here in Utah, hot and sunny). The only thing that I can come p with is having been stung last night when I should not have been monkeying with them.
    After the sun goes down I find them to be more protective as well, but never noticed and change in temperment the next day. Though, much like I mentioned about yellow jackets in my post above, honey bees can and do 'remember' you for a long time.

When I was just getting started beekeeping I had another, beek come over and check out my hives (deep inspection). He was really rough with them and by the time this dude was done he had at least 200 dead bees on the ground and who knows how many inside the hive. Those bees chased his butt all the way to his car at least 300 ft away. Right after that I noticed a group of bees making about a 30 yard loop around the hive (and my house) just looking for a fight with anyone within range. About 10 seconds later I heard my wife scream as 4 or so bees jump her and chased her off the deck. The hive calmed down, but for the next 2 days every time I got within 20 ft of that hive I had a couple of bees ramming into my veil. I had my buddy suite up with me and had him open the hive. They left him completely alone and started pestering me this went on for another week until either the mark they put on me wore off or the guard bees that were around during that event moved on to become foragers.
    I did not solicite that guys 'help' again.

~Reid

Sounds like you pi**ed off the bees the first day. Now the guards are attacking anything that approaches the hive.

Stay away from the hive for about 10 days. The guards will eventually be replaced and the hive will return to normal. Had that happen a couple of times in the back yard. We could only water the garden at night.

Fuzzy

Check to see if any thing else is bothering the girls.

Eairler this season I had some in my out yard that were mean as a snake, after paying attention to them a little better they were beeing harresed by coons, so after catching 8 coons and 2 possums they have calmed down a bit.

2 different times I didnt get to check the traps untill later in the day and the coons were dead from stings aroung the eyes and nose so they do go for the head (they sure do mine)
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

I have been told by older beeks that bee stings do have a scent of bananas too. I have no reason to doubt them, but when I get stung, the first thing in my mind is not to sit there and try and smell it maybe next time.

i had my one hive mad at me last night. i have only been stung once until then. I opened up the hive down in the lower deep steeling a frame of brood for a week hive and they got mad. one stung me in the side and after that they would not leave me alone. i walked away 80 feet or so and after a bit there they would come. My kids were with me about 60 ft away and not a bee came close to them. I finially left all my gear after I got stung in the armpit and got the heck out of there. they deffinetly had it out for only me they rememberd who i was.