Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: IT's not honey flow weather here

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK and Sheri View Post

John started pulling honey this past week and they have done amazingly well considering the weather. Must have turned on the past week or so....here's hoping it continues.
    Sheri
    Same thing here. 2 wks ago I made my rounds and found very little honey(compared to what it should be). Today I took my van to make some checks and was just amazed to find most of the hives had filled 2 shallows(I guess I will be visiting them tomorrow with supers in hand).

HOney is comming in here, Southern Manitoba,

We missed the massive rains, so far anyway, and got what the crop needed.
    The canola is real late, and later making the honey pull this year real nice, well, that is if it rains sometime soon, and it warms up a bit , and doesnt freeze in Aug.

Going to start pulling end of next week, or maybe beginning of Aug. Any rate, this is a real strange year, and late for me.
    But the calender doenst matter right now, I just have to take while the taking is good, and worry about the short season when it ends
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

yellow clover honey is darker colored then the white sweet clover and in my region not what most of us would call white honey.

yellow seems to only produce in the wet years while white sweet clover produces nectar almost every year here in the SW Wisco area.

many plants provide little nectar when flowers first open up. for example in wisco/mn I see white sweet clover blooming around July 1st most years but the main flow from it is around the 21st although this year and last season things are running 7-12 days late. from my many decades of experience I can say that its the later stages of plant life that yields the most nectar. timely rains in the later stages can prolong the nectar flow.

there are some nectar sources like buckwheat that this delayed nectar flow is not true, but sweet clover for sure and also locust and basswood in my region follows this pattern. i speak from the midwest and my experience here, perhaps other locales see something different....

"I can say that its the later stages of plant life that yields the most nectar." -Bud

I agree, canola seems to have to be half way through its bloom stage and well into setting seed before the flow becomes intense, depending upon the year and the weather of course. Honey flow has picked up considerably,only one or two nice days and alot of windy, not too hot days

Well, here we go again; late July/early August supposedly the hottest time of the summer, and our high temps are supposed to be in the upper 60s/low 70s for the next week. Currently 66 F with 20 mph winds. Had a couple of weeks of pretty nice weather (mostly in the 80s, even over 90 once, for only the second time all summer) where the bees made a little progress, but still not a lot around for them to forage on. Planning on starting to take honey off towards the end of the week (what little there is), maybe August will be better?
    Last edited by Gregg; 07-28-2009 at 11:41 AM. Reason: spelling
    Gregg Stewart

North American honey crop reports up to 4 th week of july, that I am hearing from beekeepers, will drive up the price more, this adding to the already world shortage of white honey, what you hearing?

Started extracting.......it can only get better if the weather improves

If we actually do have a shortage of liquid honey produced in North America, that won't necassarily result in a higher price. But we can always hope it will. Unless you have to buy honey in order to keep your customer base.
    Last edited by Bizzybee; 07-28-2009 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Unnecessary quote
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123