Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: IT's not honey flow weather here

And it helps when you use correct terms, since there are the "one hive wonders" trying to learn just what is correct.

Nancy

The weather has been bad here as well, coldish and lots of wind. We could use the rain but if we got some it wouldn't help either, unless it helps for the fall flow.
    As the whether we call it a nector flow or honey flow, I guess we always refer to it as a "honey flow", correct or not. Cheesh, some people are such sticklers for accuracy.
    I mean, really, it is "honey" that flows out of the extractor in the end.
    Sheri

Every beekeeper I know refers to it as a honey flow, but what does "y'all" mean?

Quote Originally Posted by 123456 View Post
    Every beekeeper I know refers to it as a honey flow, but what does "y'all" mean?
    I see you aren't from Southern Ontario, so I guess I can see why you would ask that question.

Alright, I guess nectar flow and honey flow can be considered interchangeable terms. As long as we all understand what is being discussed.

I said I was picky, didn't I?
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

A Calif packer/buyer said he's hearing very little honey being made in CA. Buckwheat looks good, but no nectar; sage flow didn't happen. Anybody else hearing about CA honey flow?

Saw several semi loads of supers heading out of state -- to Dakotas, they say. I hear so much talk of heading to Dakotas. Just curious, is there really that much open space to head to? Do the number of out of state bees going there effect the local beeks honey production? Trucking and extracting costs would take a big bite right off the top.

NO room here.
    6 1/2 inches of rain and no heat since last monday.

Quote Originally Posted by high rate of speed View Post
    NO room here.
    6 1/2 inches of rain and no heat since last monday.
    There is room in my old shed now Mike. But not in the countryside for any more bees. The flow has shut down in our part of the state now too.

Clover and alfalfa are blooming but no sweet smell,and not putting off any necter.I never thought I would say too much rain in SD this time of the year.We need some hot dry days to make a crop

in my area its off and on and depends greatly on location. one large river bottom area I have 500 colonies in bees are working on supers 4 & 5 and they have not started on the massive bloom of sweet clover yet. the savior this year had been the basswood flow - best since 2007.

SW Wisco is bad this year after last years boomer crop - there is not much in bloom and few hives with more then one super filled.

last year with similar cool weather the hive scales went crazy the end of July. my prediction is an average crop yet for most areas but it will be a late crop in the next 21 days for the wisco, mn, iowa region.

Prepare for a reversal in the weather come the third week in August. If it is too cold now it will be too hot then, if its too wet now, it will be too dry then, and vice versa. The wind will be either too strong or too light! The extremes seem to be the order of the day. A little reprieve in the weather patterns commences in September, so be prepared for a little flutter of honey then.

Fortunately, there are always a few days in a few areas that are balanced and good for nectar no matter how the pendulum swings.

Don't forget where you heard it!

Cheers,

JohnS

John that is one thing that is for certain in my part of SD. It will get dry and hot eventually. In the past it has been too soon. I am looking out the window this morning and see fog which is crazy for mid-July here.

My friend in ND says conditions are still hopeful for sunflowers and canola. Yesterday he mentioned yellow sweet coming up through grass and blooming, that is totally out of whack compared to normal. I'm going to load a truck and give it a whirl. In two weeks they start killing bees here in Cal.

Is the color or flavor of yellow sweet clover different than for white?
    Just curious, as we suddenly find ourselves in a big white clover area. We get very little of it up here near the home yards.

John started pulling honey this past week and they have done amazingly well considering the weather. Must have turned on the past week or so....here's hoping it continues.
    Sheri

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G. Laury View Post
    In two weeks they start killing bees here in Cal.
    What? Can you expand upon that?

Hi Matt!
    Hope you doin OK.
    Down here Fresno county the planes get fired up starting first week of August. Lygus is migrating to cotton. Worm & weevil pressure is building in alfalfa. There has been a long enough period for pests to build to economic levels.
    Irrigated has its pros & cons.

Wow they looked so good when we were pulling honey.
    Helps you weed out the #2s.

Reminder Re: IT's not honey flow weather here

Pulled 331 supers. supers still a little light. 33 lb avg. per super.
    Had full day of rain, probly lost 5 barrels of honey today. Only got 2/10ths. If it is going to rain, I wish it would just do it.

Default Re: white clover

White clover is an important honey plant. White clover honey is considered the best quality honey. It is the standard to which other honeys are compared. In many areas it is the principle source of nectar for the production of surplus honey. The best yields come in seasons following a year of excessive rainfall. In wet years the conditions favor the rooting of thousands of new plants, which are ready to produce a crop of nectar the following summer (Pellet, 1976).

from http://entomology.unl.edu/beekpg/tid...0/btdmay00.htm

have noticed that stuff growing profusely in pastures, ditches, while driving from beeyard to beeyard

1st year beekeeper in Alaska, I pulled a medium of capped honey, it tastes incredible. They've been covering the clover on my hillside and ignoring the fireweed. I can't believe I haven't seen them on the fireweed. I let it run wild in my garden and they're all over the yard and the neighbors' yard. They just began cleaning pollen off the himalayan poppies that have been blooming for 3 weeks. Odd little critters, they have their own preferences.

Now it's blowing and raining in the middle of the nectar flow, egads.....
    http://web.mac.com/thomja/iWeb/Site/...86947B09F.html
    Last edited by akbees; 07-22-2009 at 09:07 PM. Reason: wrong webpage

Default Re: white clover

Quote Originally Posted by irwin harlton View Post
    White clover is an important honey plant. White clover honey is considered the best quality honey. It is the standard to which other honeys are compared. In many areas it is the principle source of nectar for the production of surplus honey. The best yields come in seasons following a year of excessive rainfall. In wet years the conditions favor the rooting of thousands of new plants, which are ready to produce a crop of nectar the following summer (Pellet, 1976).

from http://entomology.unl.edu/beekpg/tid...0/btdmay00.htm

have noticed that stuff growing profusely in pastures, ditches, while driving from beeyard to beeyard
    I believe JohnK and Sheri were referring to white sweet clover, which appears later in the year than yellow sweet clover. As far as nectar is concerned, I believe it is the same as yellow, but I would refer to the 1926 book Honey Plants of North America. by Pellet for confirmation. I have the book, but not with me currently, and would recommend it to anyone that is really interested in the types of plants and how they relate to honey production. It is somewhat outdated but is still a relevant reference manual.

The yellow comes and goes in a fairly short period while the white will bloom for months. White sweet clover is the moneymaker in a good clover year.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast