Default How To Take Care Of Extracted Supers

I extracted some supers, and the bees have cleaned them up. They are honey supers and most of them never had brood. What should I do to store the ones with no brood/cacoon debris? How about the ones with cacoon debris?

Thanks,

Neil

Default Re: How To Take Care Of Extracted Supers

Spray/mist them with Bacillus thuringensis, subsp, aizawai strain
    to keep the wax moth larvae from devastating your combs.
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

Talk to Sundance.
    Chuck Norris once roundhouse kicked Hulk in the face. Now he hides in the forest and changed his name to Shrek

Put them back on the hive so the bees can store more honey in them.

Or just plain store them on the hive. A strong hive can keep the boxes free of wax moths.

(This is an alternative/supplement to the BT already mentioned.)

combs that were used for honey storage only, never having brood raised in them or pollen stored in them will store just fine without wax moth damage worries. Just stack them up in the corner of the garage or where ever. The other combs, the ones with pupa casings from past brood rearing or with pollen, they need to be stored with wax moth protection. Stored under 50F degrees in full light will work.

Cover them well and use something strong to repel the wax moth... for example walnut leaves... cheap and natural with great effect

I read somewhere that you can store them with a mothball at the bottom in an empty super then stacked up and a newspaper sheet on top with another empty super on that to hold it down, just that you had to air it out for a bit before using them the next year.

I never tried it, and I'm not sure about it (because it would seem to me that the mothball stuff would get into the comb).

The moth balls are a NoNo around bees. At Walmart look for Moth Crystals; they come in a small can about 6-8 inches tall. Or order Paramoth from a bee supply house. The active ingredient needed is Paradichlorobenzine so make sure to check the can if you buy them at Walmart. Stack the supers on a piece of plywood or a good flat floor and seal any openings with duct tape or place them in contractor size garbage bags. Put about 3-4 tablespoons of the crystals on a paper plate and lay the plate on the frames in the top super. Seal them up good and check every couple of months. The crystals will slowly dissolve so replace as needed. Air the supers out for a day or so before you put them back on the bees.