Default Cleaning old, dirty, black comb -

Is there any method for cleaning old comb? It has dirt, ants, and grass in it. It has also been in a beehive that had a lot of chalk brood. Can you use water and bleach to kill the chalk brood spores that may possibly be in the comb. Thank you for any help.

Sad make candles

Throw it away
    I know you want to help the bees out - saving them from having to draw out wax - so they make more honey.

Old comb could (probably does) have spores, disease and pesticides in it plus anything else that you used to chemically treat them. Old comb does more harm than good

They've done testing at the university of minnesota and even fresh foundation you buy has chemicals in it. Really help your bees and throw it away.
    Change is inevitable, Growth is optional

Default Re: Cleaning old, dirty, black comb -

I read that American Foulbrood is present in every hive, but usually only becomes a problem when the comb is old. Over time, more spores collect in the comb. When the spore level becomes high enough, it causes an outbreak. I am sure it is true because I read it on the internet. I would throw out the old comb.

There was a product that was sold by bee supliers many years ago that you sprayed onto the comb, let it do it's work, and then let the bees remove the old molted skins.
    Comb Release, I am not sure.
    maybe some one else can chime in and help.
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

Requeening and improving ventilation is the best way to get rid of chalkbrood.

I would either melt it down or hose it clean as best I could and give it to the bees to finish cleaning it if I absolutely wanted to use that comb. It's hard to go wrong letting the bees draw new comb though.

That is what I did first and the chalkbrood continued. Since I have removed the old comb and let them draw some new comb for the queen to lay in the chalkbrood is gone. Apperantly it was just a problem with the comb.
    Last edited by Bizzybee; 07-14-2009 at 10:38 PM.