Thread: Moving A tbh

Default Moving A tbh

What would it take to move a tbh ? How do you keep comb from failing.
    Do bees try to go back were the hive was before ?

Default Re: Moving A tbh

It takes two people, a small piece of 1/8" hardware cloth, a few staples, some bungee cords and a red flashlight.

To keep the comb intact you must drive so slowly that your grandparents will be tailgating you, flashing their lights and beeping their horns. No bumps, no potholes.

I moved mine several miles, so no, they did not try to go back. On a shorter move you may have some luck putting branches right in front of the entrance, enticing them to re-orient the next time they leave the hive.

Thank you for your info . I am going to move them closer to some blooming alfalfa less than a 1.5 miles away. thanks for the tip on the red flashlight .

Aaron

How far are you from the blooming alfalfa now? 1.5 mile is well within flight range.
    Dan

Very true 1.5 miles is within flight distance . A new feild for expansion is a nether part of the puzzle. Can't stay in my back yard forever .

Aaron

Default one more note

Be swift and sure when you close off their entrance. If you leave a gap, the sound of that first staple with send them boiling out. They don't fly much if at all when it's dark, but it can be awkward trying to corral them back inside.

I'm not sure what type of entrances you use, however, I use 3/4" holes that can be closed off with corks. I simply head out to the hives after dark with a friend, close up the entrances with corks, tape down the bars with duct tape so they cannot shift, pick up the hive and set it in the back of the truck. Usually we strap down the hive, or someone sits in the back of the truck with it, depending on how far we're going. Drive carefully. Once we arrive, we move the hive into position, unplug the corks and drive away.

Matt

Thanks for all the info everyone . I am moving the bees in the morning . I will give a update after it is all over . The 2nd cutting of hay is blooming and the farmers may get 4 cuttings in this year. My new spot is in the middle of 5 hay feilds .

Aaron

The move went great. thank for all the tips . I will go back to open the hives after a day or two.

thanks again
    Aaron

How much water/ventilation do they have? They can die if locked in a day or two in the summer. I'd open them right away. Some leafy branches piled on the hive and over the entrance will slow them enough to reorient. If you are worried you can place a box with some comb at the old location and you'll capture all returners. Or let the ones that get lost find a new home. They'll be better off then cooking them all.

Sorry I was not clear I opened the entrance. I just want to check the contents on sunday to make sure all is good and no comb has failed.

AARON