Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Hollyhock pollen?

8K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  garprob 
#1 ·
We have a bunch of hollyhocks in our yard and I thought that they would be a great pollen source for the bees. I have not seen a single bee on them though. Does anyone have any other knowledge about hollyhocks and bees? Thanks!

#9 ·
hi garp
might be that they are doing the same thing my girls are doing, still busy finishing up with the alph alpha bloom before they start shopping around for something new to work :scratch:
i have an elderly school teacher lady at the end of the block that i think has some hollyhock, ill stroll by and see if their is any activity around her hollyhocks and let you know

beebiker

#10 ·
There are a ton of hollyhocks at one of my yards. I have not seen the first honeybee on a hollyhock in 2 years. I have seen bumblebees and carpenter bees on them though.

And maybe my honeybees prefer other flowers that are blooming at the same time, and they would work the hollyhocks if there wasn't any white dutch clover or radish blooms or bean blooms or dill blossoms or cucumbers/squash or thistle blossoms or any of the weird flowers in my sisters flowerbeds...

#11 ·
well, took a peek last night at the neighbor ladys and her hollyhocks were seeing no activity either, may just be that it's to early or i was to late in the evening but with all the alph alpha on its last legs of a bloom they may be working that and will get to other stuff later

beebiker

#13 ·
Sorry I forgot to talk about the original question. My Hollyhocks are done this summer but I am sure the girls showed interest in them before. I actually moved some this year because they where at my entrance door and the wife didnt like the girls so close to the door.
And yes Sundance that would be good to swap seeds. Remind me later in the year if I dont get back w/ ya.:)

#18 ·
I also have pink single hollyhocks, and haven't seen any of my honeybees on those Nor my sunflowers. In fact, I don't see my honeybees working any of my flowers! I do see those big bumblebees, butterflies, moths, other flying insects, dragonflies, misc. wild birds,my chickens, the hummingbirds and now the goldfinches are getting the ripening sunflower seeds.

I've been trying to figure out what the honeybees are getting. I scattered buckwheat seeds around my flower beds to add forage for the honeybees, so it's been rather sad to not see them even go for those blooms. I can only imagine they're travelling farther or finding something in the 2 untended acres of trees next to us or open pasture behind us. I'm too new to bees to have any other ideas, and just have two hives. One's in a tree next to the house and one's in a hive behind our house.

#19 ·
I'm guessing you have something better out there for the bee's. I planted Buckwheat also w/ not much action until just recently I trimmed my clover blooms in my orchard off just to see the bee's move over to the buckwheat overnight! They are all over it now. Them girls got it together I'm thinkin':s

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.