Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sainfoin saga

Default Re: sainfoin saga

I planted it for a winter crop, since it likes cool weather, and in south TX, that means Nov 1- Mar 1.

Some of it came up okay, and what did had a few flowers. But I would say it was not a success.

HOWEVER, I also firmly believe that the problem *I* encountered was a serious drought. I suspect if we had been blessed with rain and we had none, zip, zero, nada, not a single drop -- it might have come up better. I don't know. Of course, the whole thing was a gamble anyway, sainfoin being totally foreign to this corner of the world.

At this time, (Spring 2012) I do not have plans to try it anytime soon. Perhaps for the Winter of 2012-2013? Assuming the world doesn't end when the Mayan calendar does in Dec. . . .

Summer

[QUOTE=summer1052;766002]

Some of it came up okay, and what did had a few flowers. But I would say it was not a success.

i had some success, but their simply was not the volume of blooms to draw much attention for the girls. you know they like it when there are LOTS of blossoms to work. if i had a patch of a few acres i think it would have been much better.

beebiker

I live in Virginia and planted Sainfoin 2 years ago. It came up fine. However, we had a dry summer and it only grew to about 4 to 6 inches. Last year, none of it came up. Disappointed.

spieker,
    Aren't your soils in Virginia basically acidic?

I quote from: http://www1.foragebeef.ca/$foragebee...nsf/all/aafc49

"Sainfoin yields best on deep, well-drained soils that have good moisture-holding capacity and are high in lime."
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Yes, my soil is acidic. I spread lime all over the area where I planted the sainfoin. I got the PH up to 6.5 - 7.0 before planting it. It is possible that the lime leached out.

Maybe periodic amendment with lime could help keep it going. I used to live in Waynesboro.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12