Default Michigan Bee Update / New BEEK

Hello everyone I'm a brand new beek, just wanted to give a little update to my nuc I installed about 3 months ago. I had a nuc I installed in my box 3months ago, they seemed to quickly draw out foundation and I added a second box above not long after. Great queen, lots of brood, pattern, all that jazz. About 3 weeks ago I put a super on top, and they haven't been up above at all really, (I know they'll go when they are ready) so 9 days ago I sprayed some sugar water on the super foundation. I checked today, and the foundation is about 95% drawn out w/ lots of honey! Only a few single cells are capped off, so they have some work to go but I was so so pleased to see I'm going to harvest honey this year! I pulled five frames out of the top brood box and they were filled w/ about 80% capped honey. The colony seems to be thriving which was great. I did find some varroa a while ago when I checked some cells so I'm going to treat in the Fall, or thats what everyone says I should do!

I plan on expanding to a few more hives next year, I have enjoyed the heck out of this hobby so far, keep up the great posts on the site, I've been reading and learning a ton.

Thanks, Brad

Default Re: Michigan Bee Update / New BEEK

That's great!! So glad it is going so well for you your first year. Best wishes in the many beekeeping years ahead

Congratulations on your successful season!

Have you searched the term, "honeybound", or inspected the lower deep for swarm cells? There is a lot of season to go, even "up nort', hey"! If 80% is filled and capped in the upper deep, IMHO, you might think of doing some extracting.

BB

Congrats Brad. Isn't great to be excited about something. Glad you are enjoying your new adventures in Beekeeping. I hope you stay, STICKY during honey harvests for many years to come.