Thread: Sticky gloves

Default Sticky gloves

I got a pair of leather gloves from Betterbee when I started my hives this spring. By now they are pretty stick with honey, wax, and propolis and thus are not as easy to work with as they used to be. Does anybody have a good way to clean them up? Thanks!

Default Re: Sticky gloves

I spray mine down with concentrated simple green (citrus degreaser found at pretty much any hardware store) and either throw them through the wash or wash them off with hot water in the sink. If they are hard when they dry a leather conditioner works well.

I wash mine with any old detergent that cuts gunk (you can pretty much forget about removing dark stains and propolis unless you want to use something like paint thinner) and then I dry until the leather is almost stiff. After that, I put them on and rub leather conditioner into them. I'm not fussy on the conditioner....whatever I have.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

I wear mine and run them under hot water to get them wet. Then, I take Dawn dishwashing liquid and wash my hands with it, with the gloves on. Then rinse thoroughly with more hot water. The hot water gets rid of the honey. The Dawn breaks down the wax. And the propolis? Well... it's just LESS sticky. Then I let them air dry over the bath tub overnight.

Thanks all... Just had the same question and found some things to try....

Paul
    Chillicothe, Ohio - 2 Hives
    www.ohiobees.com My Bee Blog

if you have the gumption, try gloveless - take your rings and watch off, but the only time I've been stung is wearing dark (construction) gloves and she got me on the finger. They have pretty much left my hands alone during inspection (& easier to work frames) - usually just going for my head/face - slow and easy.
    EAS Georgia Certified. "Tradition - Even if you have done it the same way for years doesn't mean that it is not stupid."

I've found industrial strength degreasers work pretty well and cutting thru propolis. I get the one gallon container of it at Sams Club. Simple Green Concentrate seems to work also.
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

Thanks guys- I will give those things a try.

"if you have the gumption, try gloveless"

I have been tempted to go gloveless. But just his afternoon I lifted the outer cover off for just a second to peek in the super and got nailed twice- on the hand and on the wrist. I think I'll stick with the gloves.

I have ben stung once before- on the forehead. I barely felt it. These were considerably more noticeable- not really painful but they did hurt a bit.

Go gloveless and use a smoker. Took me a few years to go gloveless myself, but now, even with mean bees stinging me, I won't wear the gloves. For me, wearing gloves causes too much damage in the hive. Besides, if I need to catch a queen or move bees around out of the way, gloves just hamper the process. If I'm working a hive that's angry, then I smoke my hands every couple minutes, keeps the bees off them mostly. Although, do what you feel comfortable with. If you feel you would be more comfortable with the gloves then by all means wear them. You must do what you need to do in order to be at ease working thru a hive. Never work a hive if you are overly nervous or anxious or uncomfortable, the bees will pick up on that and take advantage of you.
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

I wash them while wearing them with some dish soap. Like I'm washing my hands. Then after they dry I soak them in FGMO (mineral oil laxitive).
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Last night the stings were nothing more than big mosquito bites. Tonight my hand looks like a sausage. No knuckles- just 5 sausage links attached to a great big pattie!

I'm also reluctant to go gloveless so I use dishwashing gloves that cost 99 cents at the local Kroger grocery store. They are bright yellow, the bees don't seem interested in them and they wash up well. When they get too nasty, pitch them!

so far I just find some dry dusty dirt and rub my gloved hands with it. it makes the propolis less sticky but my gloves sure are dirty. the good part is that I can do this mid-inspection if I need to.