Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

New from the Panhandle of Florida

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  DebCP 
#1 ·
Just want to start out saying this is a great resource and forum

I will introduce myself as a 43 old married man with one son at the University of Florida and two daughters ages 9 and 13. I was pretty much raised in Orlando till several years ago I was able to transfer with my company up to Washington County, Fl which is pretty much halfway between Dothan, Al and Panama City. We decided to get out of the rat race (my decision really) and move to an area with great values and a great place to raise kids.

A few years ago my wife asked about getting a few beehives for personal use. I kept putting it off till finally after enough pestering I said why not. I tell you though just reading about it from here and elsewhere boggles the mind, I had second doubts. I talked to one member here (Bitteroot) by phone and he is new as well but calmed some of my doubts. So this fall and winter I plan to build at least 3 hives along with maybe 1-3 Nuc boxes and jump in.

The thinking is that it will be a great 4-H project for my two daughters who are interested in the whole process as well plus being a great hobby along with the end benefit of honey.

I will have hundreds of questions so please bear with me and I also have a great resource (hopefully) just a few miles down the road who was the past president of the Florida Beekeepers Association which I am going to arrange to meet with next week.

So anyway that is it in a nutshell....I will have a post in the general section shortly with a few questions I have on my mind as of now.

Thanks.....

See less See more
#2 ·
Scott,

Welcome to the forum. I live in Bradenton, Florida and my son is a student at UCF (he loves Orlando, personally it's too big for my comfort zone). I am sure you will find the help you get here valuable. I would also suggest finding a local beekeepers association and a mentor if possible (perhaps the gentleman you spoke with is up to it?), it makes the initiation process easier.

Deb

#3 ·
Thanks DebCP

That is my plan for right now, to contact him and see if he needs any free help since they will be pulling in hives in the near future. Hopefully it will work out.

My wife went to UCF but that school has come a long ways from then. Good school though and at one time in the last few years it was the fastest growing college in the nation. Good luck to him. Just Don't tell him that UCF use to stand for "U Can't Finish" since back in the 80's most of the student body was local and they would take a class, party, party, party ,take a class, party, party, etc. It would take them several years to get a degree.

Anyway thanks for the welcome and am looking forward to learning all I can.

#4 ·
Scott,

No, I definitely won't tell my son what UCF used to stand for, that's funny. I was quite surprised by how nice the university actually was. Good luck with a mentor...and by the way 43 is not an old man...that would make my hubby and me old too.

Deb:rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.