Default winter honey stores

I did a search and did not find the information. Maybe someone could direct me to a post. I got a lot of hits though, for "move", "winter" and "honey"

In your experience will bees move honey and pollen (bee bread) to where they are clustered around the brood in the winter? Or if they are short on supplies will they abandon that location for a better “stocked” area in the hives when they brake cluster?

I plan to winter my two hives in one deep and 2-3 mediums, depending on how much they can draw out by fall. Then in the spring remove the lower deep and run all mediums.
    The reason for this is my Nuc/swarm box is a deep and the Nuc hive I got was in a deep. My concern is giving them to much internal hive space to manage with this arrangement.

We have had some warm day during the last two winters; I have seen bees out foraging when it is warm. Will bees "refill the pantry" on these warm days from other places in the hive, or do they simply moves across and up the frame migrating to where the stores are when it is warm enough for them to break cluster? I have heard of bees starving with frames full of stores just inches away because they could not break the winter cluster to get to them. I would like to avoid such a disaster.

Happy Beekeeping
    RKR
    4 seasons 19 Hives-Camp Branch Bee Ranch. Est 2009
    "I am a nobody; nobody is perfect, and therefore I am perfect."

Default Re: winter honey stores

Never mind, re-thought my query and I did a search with "do bees move honey" as a phrase and found my asnwers,

Thanks RKR

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ees+move+honey
    Last edited by rkr; 07-11-2009 at 03:32 PM.
    4 seasons 19 Hives-Camp Branch Bee Ranch. Est 2009
    "I am a nobody; nobody is perfect, and therefore I am perfect."