Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default electric fence tester

Maybe you guys know this but i didn't and i grew up on the edge of a rural area.

You can take a long piece of grass or similar weed and strip it down to one main strand. You then hold this strand at one end and place the other end on the fence. Slowly slide the strand inward and you will eventually feel a twitch that will get weaker when you slide your hand away from the fence and stronger when you slide towards it. The length will depend on many things but will atleast let you know if the fence is or isn't working.

Default Re: electric fence tester

You can test them that way, OR if your looking for more fun you can convince your "friend" to whiz on the fence. You can judge by his reaction how hard the fence jolt is hitting!
    Goog Luck!!!

Dont try this at home, I'm a trained proffessional

Make sure you don't have rubber sole boots or shoes on when you test it that way because you won't be grounded. I have a coon hunting buddy that say's he is going to get even with me for telling him a fence wasn't hot ( i touched the fence with the back of my hand, and had rubber sole boots on) it was a honest mistake on my part but i can't convince him that it was Jack

I works if you have long green grass. Pick a 18" piece of grass and lay the tip on the fence. Slowly slide it so your hand is closer and closer. At some point you can feel the tingle if it is on.

A funny story. I would at work on a survey field crew 30 years ago and we came to an electric fence. The guy I was with walked over to it and wondered a loud if it was on. I told him to use a piece of grass. He wouldn't believe that it would work. I was about to go show him how to do it when he picked a 2" piece of grass and touched it to the fence. Well...we did find out it was on.

Stormont County, Cornwall, Ontario, Canada

I know nothing about bees, but have had cows in an electric fence for 20 years. I have a real tester that measures the voltage, but just drive a steel
    post or rod in the ground near the fence and push wire over to touch it ( use
    something insulated like a wooden hammer handle or screw driver) . If the fence is "hot" there should be a spark and hear a snap.

easier to pick a piece of grass than to drive a rod in the ground, but i like the idea of seeing the spark :P

Quote Originally Posted by afss View Post
    ....i like the idea of seeing the spark :P
    Pick a short piece of grass.

I can loan you the one that I bought at a feed store.
    Sounds like you like to live on the cutting edge!
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

Quote Originally Posted by beedeetee View Post
    Pick a short piece of grass.
    LOL, you first

Quote Originally Posted by phil c View Post
    ...OR if your looking for more fun you can convince your "friend" to whiz on the fence. You can judge by his reaction how hard the fence jolt is hitting!...
    Whizzing on a fence is an old wives tale...er, maybe old husbands. Mythbusters busted that a few years ago. It doesn't carry a current because it's not a continuous stream. Wasn't even close enough to arc with a high current applied.
    "burr comb happens..."

while i normally agree with the myth busters i am not about to test this one out.

The test they were doing was using water guns and tesla coils. I would be willing to bet that a 2 foot stream of pee is more uniform than a 30 foot stream from a water gun.

I'll leave it like this, you drink a few beers and when its time to break the seal go pee on your fence and let us know if its a myth or not, cause i am not going to be the one to try to put this one to bed.

When I was a kid we would test (and play with) electric fences by getting a tall weed and laying it against the wire. You could hear the pop and see a spark, and after a few minutes of that, the fence would burn through the weed. You could always tell where a weed grew too close to the fence and touched it. It would burn the weed and kill the part of the stem near where it touched the fence. Maybe we had hotter fences around here. (Come to think of it, Grandpa did keep some fence wired for 110 around the garden. It would kill groundhogs and coons. The fence bit Grandma once, and that was the end of Grandpa using 110.)

My Dad's cousin peed on an electric fence once. Once being the key word. He said it felt like someone whacked the boys real hard. I have another friend who peed on a fence to see whatwould happen - he also says never again.

Quote Originally Posted by dug_6238 View Post
    Whizzing on a fence is an old wives tale...er, maybe old husbands. Mythbusters busted that a few years ago. It doesn't carry a current because it's not a continuous stream. Wasn't even close enough to arc with a high current applied.
    Maybe so, maybe so ... but when I was a young boy bird huntin' with my Dad in the early 60's, his setter cocked his leg and let go on a hot fence. From the sound of his yelp, and the speed he ran off, I figured I'd never have to try that one for myself.

Maybe setters have a more continuous stream, or fencers were hotter back then (I know he was wearin' rubber boots), but he never did it again. And that's good enough for me.

BB

Watched three guys do it while we were coonhunting a few years back. Well, saw out of the corner of my eye. Never seen anyone react so fast before. It had just rained and we were pulling in the dogs for the night. It was not a pulse system but a constant 'grass burner'. We watched it burn the grass along the bottom strand and they did it anyway.

Reasons why tigers eat their young #18.

Quote Originally Posted by cheesegenie View Post
    ( use
    something insulated like a wooden hammer handle or screw driver) .
    Ya, right! Wood? Insulator? I don't think so!

I usually push my pitchfork into the ground (the tines) and then lever it towards the bottom wire. You get the snap and the spark off of it. It's the portable version of banging the rod into the ground.

Here is a site for you :
    The Deer Shock
    http://www.electric-deer-fence.com/e...ters/index.htm

Simple Positive Voltage Reader

This very basic voltage reader lights up when it detects a positive voltage, and its wonderfully affordable. The problem is, it wont tell whether the voltage is high enough (at least 2.5 kilovolts for nose or tongue contact, at lease 5 kilovolts for contact elsewhere) to give your fence a reasonable chance of shocking deer.

PRODUCT NO.
    PRODUCT NAME
    MAKER
    COST
    QTY

04-01
    Simple positive voltage reader
    Dare
    $3.65

Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Beeslave View Post
    Ya, right! Wood? Insulator? I don't think so!
    what are power poles made of??

Quote Originally Posted by 11x View Post
    what are power poles made of??
    That's why they put insulators on power poles.

wood does insulate enough to keep from getting shocked as long as its not wet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast